Talk

Advanced search

Turkey with a 5 months old baby

(8 Posts)
PirateMonkey Thu 09-May-13 11:11:47

Thinking about going to Turkey for a week to visit friends but am a little bit worried about taking such a young baby to a hot country. Would you do it? What can I do to make this trip as safe as possible? Tia

SpottyTeacakes Thu 09-May-13 11:13:29

envy Yes I would do it smile

Sun suits, decent sun hat, a sun shade for the buggy (amazon do great ones with UPF 50). If you haven't weaned yet it's even easier!

Artichook Thu 09-May-13 11:16:12

When are you thinking of going? July/August would be very hot and I would hesitate with a young baby used to a cold climate, however we took ours in September and it was perfect. We had an amazing time.

Do you friends have air con?

PirateMonkey Thu 09-May-13 11:35:12

We would go in the beginning of June and yes they have ac. I am also a little worried about Mosquitos. Baby is ebf so hopefully no issues with clean water etc. I used go to Turkey every year as a child and got the most horrid tummy bugs in the first week but had a great time after that (-:

SpottyTeacakes Thu 09-May-13 11:45:06

I think being ebf will make it so much easier. Not sure about Mosquitos. I know you can buy things to attach to pushchair/cot that is meant to keep them away....think I saw something in JoJo maman bebe. Ds is 5mo and I wouldn't hesitate smile

Artichook Thu 09-May-13 12:07:38

June will be lovely. We had a house in Turkey as I grew up and we went over a couple of times a year. I don't think I ever got a tummy upset but we were careful re washing fruit and veg and avoiding ice cream.

We were all fine when we took our kids too (they were 8 months and just 3). Mosquitos didn't bother us but we lathered on non-Deet spray i. The evenings. Which area are you going to? I think the Med coast is much worse than the Agean coast for Mosquitos.

TrucksAndDinosaurs Thu 09-May-13 12:21:56

You can get mozzie nets on amazon, that fit over pushchair and hood.
A giant muslin with a few drops of lavender and citronella oil also useful as sunshade/ drape and if wetted makes a simple air con system - it's cooler under a thin damp muslin. Evenings cover the baby up in a sleep suit and cotton hat to protect skin from mozzies

Put the mozzie spray or citronella on the clothing, not the baby. Some babies hate the smell so try not to put it close to his face.

Babies here in the tropics sit in shade always, wear wide brim cotton sun hats and popper vests or onesies and go barefoot. You can buy extra long sunshades to fix to pushchair cover. A reclining pushchair under a sunshade angled to catch the breeze and your baby should enjoy long naps during the hot part of the day.

HaveToWearHeels Thu 09-May-13 14:00:58

June will be fine, we go every June for 3-4 weeks and it starts getting hotter towards the end of the holiday. Where abouts are you going ? Some areas have a nice breeze that time of year, so find some shade and you will be OK. We took our daughter when she was 9 months for the first time and no problems with mossies, the area we stay in they spray the beginning of June, they drive round in a little truck late at night and spray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now