Talk

Advanced search

Is there anyone who owns a static caravan/holiday home.. who would consider renting it to my family of 5 in August?

(32 Posts)
SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 13:38:41

I am and cringing mightily here.. and forcing myself to post this (haven't decided yet whether to actually post.. ).. but DH and I have spent days and days trawling Ebay trying to find something affordable so that we could have a few days away by the sea in the summer hols. But the prices are ridiculous; there's no way we can even consider it.

So I was just wondering if there are any Mners with caravans or holiday homes who let them out during the summer.. who might have a free week or few days that they might accept a more reasonable price for? A long shot I know.. and very cheeky and shameless. Considered changing my name to ask.. but hardly anyone knows who I really am and I am passed caring what anyone thinks tbh. We need a break. Told the kids we would be able to have a few days away by the sea and have now found out that the Family Fund Trust (charity who help fund things for families with serverely disabled children) are not able to help us because we had a fridge off them less than a full 12 months ago (ours died.. and FFT provide 'white goods' like that for families such as hours.. as well as help with costs of holidays.. yes all very cringeable I admit ).

So we thought me might find something affordable on the net but there is nothing. Just thought somewhere there has to be someone who has maybe a caravan and who maybe has not been able to rent it out for the whole of August, in which case they might consider making a bit of money out of that week (from us) as opposed to none.

Feel free to ignore this. I am going to post this but an cringing. Please try not to see this as begging for discounts anyone.. just doing it for the kids, well all of us really, to give us something to focus on rather than all the negative stuff going on.

Thanks.

SJ x

ggglimpopo Fri 19-May-06 13:41:05

Message withdrawn

SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 13:47:13

Yes only in UK gggglimpopo due to aforementioned financial constraints I'm afraid I will email you.. but need to go on son's laptop and do so via my hotmail as my outlook express is broken (can receive but not send).. and we don't have MSN on this PC. Thanks.

PinkKerPlink Fri 19-May-06 13:50:25

Have you applied to dave Lee happy holidays?

PinkKerPlink Fri 19-May-06 13:56:06

I will ask around at work btw, I am pretty sure someone here has a caravan but i am not sure whether it is actually here (may be a bit close for you!)

SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 14:01:14

Hi PinkKer. We don't mind if it's Kent.. but pref. not the Isle of Sheppey (no offence intended to resident Island Mners.. .

Yes, I have left messages on the Dave Lee Holiday hotline several times. We had a Dave Lee happy hol in Easter 2003.. shameless spongers that we are!

giddy1 Fri 19-May-06 14:05:12

Message deleted

sassy Fri 19-May-06 14:07:02

Have you thought about youth hostels?

They do family accommodation which is extrememly cheap, though basic.

Worth a try?

PinkKerPlink Fri 19-May-06 14:10:10

I know dave lee's wife has died recently and she used to man the office, think it is taking longer than usual

you know you could stay in my house if i go up to my mums but you have seen the state of it, it would hardly be a holiday

MrsRecycle Fri 19-May-06 14:12:36

We have one in Camber Sands (where Dave Lee have a couple) on the East Susssex/Kent borders. We mainly use it for our own personal use but do rent it out to people we know/of good character - as I'm sure you are. As I'm going on maternity leave at the end of July - we would be glad of some extra money whilst we aren't able to use it.

Do you have any dates in mind/price range that you can go up to? We can see if we can work something out.

SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 16:11:20

Oh bless you PinkKer.. it's a lovely idea but I think DH and DS would be finished off by all those stairs! (And it isn't a 'state'.. it's a work in progress... and I haven't even got that excuse for my hovel!)

Sassy we spent an hour going through youth hostels.. some of them look lovely and they are reasonably priced.. so definitely a consideration for a couple of nights somewhere in the future I think.. but most of them would work out about £50 a night for all of us which is a bit more than we could afford for an actual holiday unfortunately even a short one.

MrsRecycle, we would be very interested in discussing your kind offer. My proper email is down at the moment.. would you be able to email me at clareyfairy74@hotmail.com? My kids absolutely loved it when we went there in a Dave Lee caravan.. DD has been asking to go see Dylan the dinosaur (!) again ever since. (Is he still there? Can people with private caravans buy entertainment passes?)

Will eagerly await your email ..

SJ x

SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 16:14:11

Oh and giddy.. sorry, didn't mean to ignore you.. I emailed that scout organisation a couple of months ago but the email kept bouncing back.

Kittypickle Fri 19-May-06 16:28:32

We are away for a week 11th August (I think that's the date) and need a kitten sitter and am wondering whether you would be interested in helping us out ? We're just outside Wimborne in Dorset. Pinkerplunk or whatever she's calling herself these days has my email address, email me if you are interested

PinkKerPlink Fri 19-May-06 16:29:27

I know kittypickle btw sleepyjess as i know you she isnt a hairy trucker, i can guarentee it

MrsRecycle Fri 19-May-06 16:36:46

SJ - am emailing you now. It's all changed since Dylan left - my kids used to love him but it's even better now. They have Sparky, Sparkle & Naarky. You won't recognise the site - it's gone through a real upgrade and they even have a non-smoking Boathouse Carvery/Restaurant.

SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 16:51:00

oh Kitty that's such a nice offer... you guys are fab.. and I was feeling so scummy for starting this thread, rightly or wrongly.

I am going to converse with MrsRecycle about her offer first.. because I have to be honest, the thought of DS2 in Someone Else's House amongst all Someone Else's possessions frankly puts the fear of God into me.. ask PlonkerPlank, she will tell you what he's like.. but I love Dorset.. and it's a very tempting offer (ignoring the fact that I am allergic to cats.. but I wouldn't let that stop me.. would just overdose on Ventolin etc.. needs must.. and we need a holiday! )

SJ x

PinkKerPlink Fri 19-May-06 16:56:23

plonkerplank, I ask you

SaintGeorge Fri 19-May-06 16:57:20

You see, THIS is what MN is really about.

I lurve this site [gushy emoticon]

MrsRecycle Fri 19-May-06 16:59:55

Oh - I'm asthmatic as well so the van has never had animals or smokers in it.

Kittypickle Fri 19-May-06 17:01:45

OK Sleepyjess but the offer is there - I have a two year old DS and a DD with dyspraxia so house if fairly bomb proof which is lucky as it sounds like world war 3 has broke out downstairs !

SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 17:23:02

Thank you so much all .. and yes St.G I agree Mrs.R, I will check hotmail asap..(Juggling kids, dinner, phonecalls and chaos at present moment.. and still on MN.. as you do... )

SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 17:43:11

Sigh. I can't get into my hotmail as I can't remember for the life of me what I changed the password to last time it expired (am hoping it will come back to me). Tried to CAT you MrsR, with my usual email (can receive/read emails.. just can't respond/create new mail aaarggghhh!) and paid the required fiver.. but you don't accept CATs. Ah well, at least MN have profited through my eternal dizziness....

Please don't think I am not interested in your caravan.. I am.. we are! I am just struggling with many and various technological issues here!!

SJ x

MrsRecycle Fri 19-May-06 18:52:40

Oops - just changed my profile so you should be able to contact me now.

MrsRecycle Fri 19-May-06 19:28:53

SJ

I'm off to the caravan now for the weekend. Don't worry I know you're really up for the caravan. As we don't really book it out, there'll be no problem with finding a suitable date. Just email me over the weekend and I'll reply Sunday evening or Monday morning.

I know what it's like when you really need a holiday and it seems like everything is against you. Don't panic, just take your time and we'll work something out. Have a good weekend - chat on email soon.

SleepyJess Fri 19-May-06 22:07:52

Thanks loads MrsR. I am going to try to get Outlook Express sorted over the weekend.. as we are not destined to have any kind of email convo until I do, sadly! But we are very very interested and hopefully make you an offer that is worth your while too.

Have a good weekend.. hope it doesn't rain too much in Camber!

SJ x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: