Talk

Advanced search

Going abroad with my 11 month old- advice please

(5 Posts)
janmk Sun 05-May-13 11:41:33

In a few weeks we will be going to Ibiza for 11 days , staying HB at a hotel. We have been abroad before with lo but things have changed now she is a bit older and so I wanted to pick your brains??

- She is FF and still has 3 bottles per day. Will I need to sterilise still as she is nearly 1 - it is only washing the bottles in their water that worries me? I am planning on boiling bottled water to make her bottles with.

- Can she drink bottled water ( without it being boiled) as she has tap water at home? I know we have to choose one with the right mineral content etc?

- Do you think feeding her off the hotel buffet at least for brekkie and eve meal will be OK? I worry about the salt content - when can I start to loosen up about this?

- She is now crawling and standing up holding onto things. Keeping her in the shade may be difficult. At this age is it OK to let them play by the sea for a bit as long as they have sun cream/ hat etc on. I am hoping she wont eat too much sand :-)

Crutchlow35 Sun 05-May-13 11:46:29

If you are worried about sTerilising you can take Milton tablets and a butty box and do it that way. Or get bags on eBay with a tablet in them.

Evian is best for young children from memory.

Yes for buffet. You will get loads of fruit and there would be raw veg on salad bars etc

Yes to swimming. We covered ds in factor 50

specialsubject Sun 05-May-13 11:52:16

get her a sunsuit and a big floppy hat. Coat the exposed bits in suncream before you go out, and every two hours. Then she can get damp and sandy to her hearts content.

it is peak UV season (solstice in six weeks) so in the shade 11-3 is intelligent. For everyone.

mikkii Sun 05-May-13 12:00:24

I have 3 DCs and have tended to stay in self catering, but that is what we had free access to. I would microwave sterilise where I could using bags. You can buy cold water sterilising bags that last a day each, our cousin favoured these. I think Milton make them.

I have always given mine bottled water if boiled tap water wasn't available, but I have never boiled bottled water, to me that seems like overkill. We have been to mainland Spain, Greece and France with the kids.

I have always fed my children from our plates in restaurants when small, but I would avoid obviously salty dishes. Lots of salad; yoghurt and eggs are always a good choice from a breakfast buffet, or croissants.

My DCs aren't fair skinned, but in Spain and Greece I have gone for not too much time outside in the middle of the day and good sunscreen. Nivea do one, I think it's called swim and play that is really water resistant. One time ours spent too long in the pool and the cream came off so I swapped to the Nivea one.

I insist on hats, t-shirts while walking around. Only the youngest has ever worn a sun suit because I don't like them, but she thinks he can keep up with DS and DD1 so this was a compromise.

One more thing, I don't know if you are strict about routine/bedtimes, we aren't and the children always come out with us at night and siesta in the afternoon, this is how the Spanish families do it, the children are always welcomed in restaurants and pushchairs too.

noramum Sun 05-May-13 13:19:51

DD got bottled water for drinking when she was 10 months or so.

Buy a proper UV50 suit to keep her sunsafe.

We always stayed indoors after lunch, beach was for mornings or late afternoons. Luckily DD loved her naps...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now