Talk

Advanced search

Ireland self-catering?

(6 Posts)
LittleMerlin Mon 15-May-06 21:09:53

Anyone recommend a nice place to stay - Galway, Clare, or anywhere close to a good beach?

Skribble Mon 15-May-06 23:11:43

I wouldn't recomend the one we stayed at as it was at the top of a barren clif with no direct access to the shore.

There are loads to choose from though, lots of purpose built estates with facilities like pools and a games room as well as lots of independants.

If your kids aren't to scared of the dark I would recomend a visit to the Ailwee Caves . My kids chattered about the bears for months afterwards.
Bunratty Castle . It has a Folk park with many farm buildings, mill, pub and the village street. The buildings are restored and set up to represent the different types of farming and times in history.

LittleMerlin Tue 16-May-06 21:04:33

Thanks Skribble - those caves look fascinating - I love things like that!!

Skribble Tue 16-May-06 23:16:40

The kids loved the whole story about the bears, they kept saying they had seen them and they were watching telly in the new bits of the caves and that they had proper beds and everything, great imaginations .

sunnydelight Wed 17-May-06 13:44:14

Roundstone (near Clifton) in Connamara is absolutely stunning. No ideas for accommodation though as it's years since I've been there. Rememeber Ireland is EXPENSIVE. Every time I go home I'm horrified by my supermarket shop, and we're not badly off! If you want beaches West Cork has miles and miles of sandy empty ones. www.celticcottages.ie has details of accommodation in Rosscarbery - a village overlooking a lagoon with canoes and boats for hire and minutes from wonderful beaches. There are great, child-friendly pubs (non smoking remember) - and a wonderful seafood restaurant if you want a treat. Go to Clonakilty (8 miles away) for folk music, a "model village" complete with little trains that the kids love, and more great beaches. Further West Glandore harbour is stunning with a tiny, hidden, pebbly beach that kids can rock-pool in. In the Summer though you'll hear as many British accents as local ones! Continue along the coast to Schull where you can get ferries to nearby islands - a great way to spend the day. Overall Ireland is much more child-friendly than the UK - ironically the "no children in pubs after 8pm" law caused much more uproar than the ban on smoking in public places - at least in tourist areas.

FrayedKnot Wed 17-May-06 13:53:18

I can highly recommend
this place

We stayed in Cara's Cottage which was ideal for a family of 4 (plus baby as travel cot provided).

There was a basket of toys and books provided and they will lend a buggy.

The setting is beautiful overlooking Kinsale Harbour, and in teh grounds of the owners house (which are available for guests to use), they have a play fort, football area and outside toys.

It is easy to reach from Cork airport and local beaches within driving distance, plus other things like the zoo.

You can walk down the hill into Kinsale where there are plenty of shops and restaurants.

There are parts of Ireland that are more wild and stunning, nevertheless this area is really pretty and worth a trip imo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: