Talk

Advanced search

Luxury Edinburgh ideas

(8 Posts)
waggledancer Mon 15-May-06 20:43:16

We are lucky enough to have won a weekend break, and have decided on Edinburgh early December. Dh fancies Prestonfield or The Bonham.

Any stayed at either or can recommend a thoroughly indulgent place to spend a weekend on money we haven't had to earn?

waggledancer Mon 15-May-06 22:04:25

Please

bogwobbit Mon 15-May-06 22:08:44

Haven't been to either but my work organised at course (including buffet lunch) at Prestonfield and it was lovely.
If you don't mind travelling a few miles out of Edinburgh, what about this place . I worked there one summer when I was a student and thought it was just gorgeous
Bump for you anyway.

utterlyconfused Mon 15-May-06 22:18:47

We stayed at the Bonham about 5 years ago and it was superb. We had booked a standard room but they upgraded us to a suite, I think because we had invited a party of friends to join us for dinner there and the bar was full of a wedding party so this meant we could use the suite for drinks beforehand. That's not really the point. The service was superb and yes, I would recommend it, but Malmaison is good too. There were major works going on outside at the time which was why we didn't stay there.
There's a really good book called "Scotland the Best" which is worth investing in - there used to be an online version but not sure if you can still get that. HTH.

waggledancer Mon 15-May-06 22:30:43

Thanks for that. Am struggling to get my head around spending so much on a weekend. Worried if we go too upmarket my reverse snobbery will kick in and i won't enjoy. Really want somewhere luxurious but down to earth. Am i barking up the wrong tree with these hotels?

Skribble Mon 15-May-06 22:40:53

No personal recomendations but the Balmoral has am amazing location, big hint the address is 1 Princes St.

Edinburgh in Dec can be magical, great choice, the shops look amazing especially Jenners, their toy dep is fab at christmas.

motheroftwoboys Thu 18-May-06 10:57:48

Would avoid the Balmoral, the rooms are nice but the service is TERRIBLE. Have only heard good things about the Bonham and the Scotsman is supposed to be good. Malmaison's are always nice but it is a bit away from it. My vote would go the The Witchery which looks gorgeous. Was googling myself yesterday as planning a romantic night for DHs birthday in a couple of weeks. Look at The Edinburgh Residence and check them all out in Trip Advisor.

ScotGirl Fri 19-May-06 20:23:06

Prestonfield is too far out of town - one of the nice things about Edinburgh is that the city centre is small and you can walk everywhere.

Have a look at the Scotsman Hotel right off the Royal mile on North Bridge (5 mins up the road from the Balmoral).

The other "posh" hotel is the Caledonian - it is at the other end of Princes St to the Balmoral.

Never stayed in a hotel though in Edinburgh as we always stay with friends.

The Balmoral, Caledonian and Scotsman are all large hotels. You might prefer a smaller boutique hotel in the New Town area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: