Talk

Advanced search

baby food jars /formula cartons/powder in hand luggage? 2 week hol what did you do?

(13 Posts)
tab Fri 12-May-06 21:39:06

Has anybody travelled to europe, greece in particular with baby food/big tub of formula in hand luggage. my worst nightmare would be to have it confiscated!! Ive travelled before with just a couple of jars and some biscuits for the journey but I was thinking on taking a bit of a supply for a two week holiday.
Its really just in case stuff - in case we cant get cartons of formula. 11 mth old.

poppyseed Fri 12-May-06 21:47:12

Pretty sure that jars of baby food aren't on the EU restricted food entry - you could check with customs and excise? I've heard of people taking a spare suitcase stuffed with english food going abroad.....
The only thing that I'd say is that you're likely to get cutlery taken from you - they confiscated a metal spoon (very dangerous weapons those toddler spoons )from me, so beware!
Happy holidays

tab Fri 12-May-06 21:51:13

Thanks poppyseed. that's a good idea re customs and excise. Ive realised that its not the clothes that are going to weigh - its all the extra paraphernalia that you have to take!!

myermay Sat 13-May-06 10:45:39

Message withdrawn

calpopscalum Sat 13-May-06 12:20:35

I took the formula as hand luggage just in case of missing luggage...! Took lots of small ready made cartons as well in hand luggage. Didn't take jars, just used the local food and chopped it up and mashed it down. Doctor told me NOT to use bottled water but just to boil tap water. DS and dd have both survived!

P45 Sat 13-May-06 18:32:11

Tab, if I had to do it again, I´d just call the number on your formula packet and check if it´s sold in Greece, and if so, is the name of the formula the same..

SoupDragon Sat 13-May-06 18:40:11

Just buy jars out there!

tab Mon 15-May-06 10:13:01

Thanks everyone. I know Im just stressing unnecessarily
I rang up Cow and Gate. Thanks for that advice P45 i would never have thought of that. They were very helpful. Offered me a similar alternative greek made formula and gave advice on boiling bottle water as greek tap water's mineral content is too high.

tab Mon 15-May-06 10:13:08

Thanks everyone. I know Im just stressing unnecessarily
I rang up Cow and Gate. Thanks for that advice P45 i would never have thought of that. They were very helpful. Offered me a similar alternative greek made formula and gave advice on boiling bottle water as greek tap water's mineral content is too high.

Angeliz Mon 15-May-06 10:16:14

Slight hijack but is boiled water o.k in Spain.

peaches27 Tue 16-May-06 11:26:23

I would think it is because its boiled. But I plan to use evian. No need to boil.

Is there a Spanish equivalent to Cow and Gate I wonder? Just out of interest, what is your Greek equivalent?
(We havent booked yet, hoping for last minute)

Kelly1978 Tue 16-May-06 11:49:32

Almiron is made bny cow and gate, but only available in soem pharmacies. I just bought Nestle, didn't hurt for a few days.

jamese Wed 17-May-06 10:40:20

I took a weeks supply of DD formula in my hand luggage when we fly to south of france. Just in case we couldn't get it there, Glad we did and we couldn't easily get anywhere that sold it.

Whilst they may sell something similar in Greece, will you definately have access to it? Not sure where you are going but the Greek Islands can be pretty remote.

Also if it tastes different is there a change that you baby won't drink it?

Doesn't take up much space in you luggage so I wouldn't risk it. I also took a load of nappies as well. but that is just me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: