Talk

Advanced search

Help needed - first European family hol

(15 Posts)
NourishingButtons Tue 09-Apr-13 10:57:36

Hi, we are off to Majorca next month with DS 3.5 and DD 16 mths (woohoooo). Does anybody have a checklist they use or top tips.

So far I have

Organised passports (DD photo got rejected boo hiss so just had prof one done!)
Arranged European Health Insurance Card
Sorting Insurance

I will obv be sorting money, and have bought lots of holiday related sticker books, airport lift flap book (am Usborne Organiser so that helps!)

Any help much appreciated! I'm not being lazy promise but not taken kids abroad or on a plane before smile

Bayleaf25 Tue 09-Apr-13 11:42:51

Take a change of clothes for the kids and yourself on the plane.
We have had one instance of one DC knocking coffee all over me & another travel sickness incident so it pays to be prepared.

Are you hiring a car? Do you need to sort that?

Hope you have a fab time!
x

wigglesrock Tue 09-Apr-13 19:05:48

Bring 2 empty sports top type bottles onto the plane to stick any juice you buy for the kids on the plane. Every time I've travelled with ours there has always been spillages from open cups smile

Buy cheap bath type toys from Poundland etc, they are fab for the pool, watering cans and the like.

Don't forget to save some sticker books etc for the way home.

Photocopy passports etc, incase you lose the originals, or just write your passport number down somewhere.

Make sure you have water/juice with you when you're leaving the plane especially if you're getting a coach transfer.

Have a great time smile

lizardqueenie Tue 09-Apr-13 19:40:37

Maybe take iPad/ DVD player along with you if you have one & feel it will entertain your DC's

Make sure you have adapters for the plugs too! Buy some snacks after check in to take on the plane- by the time you have taken off, had some snacks & toys it will be time to land again as its a nice short flight. Dummy/ drink for take off/ landing.

Layers for you all for the plane as it can be blooming chilly.

Can I ask whereabouts you are staying? Have been looking for similar holiday for our family end of May/ June

specialsubject Wed 10-Apr-13 10:01:18

for future ref, buy your insurance when you book your holiday (not necessarily from the same supplier and never from high street travel agents). You need cover against cancellation as soon as you book.

tell your bank when you are away so your cash card will work. Same for credit cards.

keep an eye out for special offers on suncream (saw kids Ambre Solaire stuff for £3 a bottle in Sainsbury's the other day)

NourishingButtons Wed 10-Apr-13 11:02:15

Thanks everybody for the great advice! smile smile

Lizardqueenie - we are staying in Peurto Pollensa in Aparthotel Playamar with Thomson - looks a good resort, not too tacky, and lots of facilities at hotel for kids, great reviews on trip advisor - so fingers crossed!

FrauMoose Wed 10-Apr-13 11:05:05

It is a pleasant resort - I stayed there with older children but the families with little ones seemed to be having a good time too.

noramum Wed 10-Apr-13 13:56:47

Sun cream, quite expensive in the holiday shops.

Some basic medicine like calpol, plaster, thermometer and antiseptic creme. If DD would have been really ill there are lots of English speaking doctors on Majorca.

We bought nappies over there. Last time there was a chain called Schlecker who sold Huggies and Pampers but I am not sure if they still exist as the German parent company went bankrupt.

When packing think layers, tops, hooded cardigan, leggings, some long trousers. Unless you fly late June to August you may have colder days and some rain as well.

Save some entertainment material for the flight back. English magazines are very expensive over there.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 10-Apr-13 14:07:35

EHIC cards and insurance. My son got chicken pox while we were abroad and we spent £400+ just getting a fit to fly certificate, plus they arranged a later flight home and a lift from the airport.

It's worth every penny!

JillJ72 Wed 10-Apr-13 18:02:08

If you are hiring a car, worth considering taking your own car seats. Quality can vary...

secretscwirrels Thu 11-Apr-13 12:55:17

Remember not to pack expensive sunscreen in your hand luggage as they won't allow liquids on the plane.
Sun protection t shirts or suits save masses of effort sun creaming wriggling children. You only need do faces arms and legs then.

Wherever you are there will be open water and you must never take your eyes off them. When ours were that small we used to take turns so we both got a rest. One watching and playing with DCs while the other relaxes, and you always know who is on "duty".
When DS1 was 4 we arrived at our hotel and were unpacking, we were in a ground floor bungalow and he slipped out and was in the pool within seconds. Having said that ground floor is better because you don't have a balcony. DS2 used to sleepwalk and was caught rattling the (locked) balcony doors in the middle of the night.
If you have a preference it's always worth e mailing the hotel to ask nicely!

CaurnieBred Thu 11-Apr-13 14:51:36

Take something for them to play with in the water - DD (and all the other children around her) loved her tea set. Here stacking cups were also great for her to skiddle with.

CaurnieBred Thu 11-Apr-13 15:00:05

Sorry - skiddle means "play in water with" in Glaswegian!

lizardqueenie Thu 11-Apr-13 19:17:50

Thanks buttons- looks like a lovely place! Hope you have a super break grin

Growlithe Thu 11-Apr-13 19:24:25

I always take some Piriton, after DD1 got hayfever in Majorca when she'd never had it before at home. The pharmacist there said they don't sell antihistimines for children over the counter, we woud have to see a doctor. Luckily, a family we met had some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now