Talk

Advanced search

Rome for a holiday ...need help please !

(20 Posts)
bizzey Sun 07-Apr-13 17:40:12

Thats it really ...I want to take my 3 ds to Rome ..It is either going to be May 1/2 term (poss a bit close money wise but better for the weather ?)...or August !!

I lived in Italy for many years and the boys have been desparate to go 12/10/9 years old, so of an age to be interested in things (ie Collessuem..and gory bits !)

What is my cheapest way of taking them ??..When I went many years ago to Rome .I just booked a B&b from the stations phone book

Really stuck how I can do this reasonably priced...that doesn't make me think ...sod it I could have a week in Spain by a pool for that !!

Prices I am getting are coming up at £1800 for all of us just b&b and flights ...for 4 nights !!!

Thanks

Sybilvimes Sun 07-Apr-13 17:44:45

I am planning to go oct half term. I am planning to book a private apartment and book a low cost airline, which should keep things under 4 figures for 4 nights.

There are plenty of apartments available, lots very central which should keep metro costs down too. Are you a colosseum tour? I want to book ahead but am to sure who with so let me know if you find a good guide!

Sybilvimes Sun 07-Apr-13 17:45:41

Are you a colosseum tour? !!!

Are you planning a colosseum tour even !

AugustaProdworthy Sun 07-Apr-13 17:46:38

October is preferable as August will be way too hot to wander around the sites.

Floralnomad Sun 07-Apr-13 17:49:39

Don't know where you're looking to do your booking but we've done a couple of city breaks recently ( copenhagen and st petersburg ) and Expedia were by far the best value , in particular when booking the tours in Russia .

redandwhitesprinkles Sun 07-Apr-13 17:54:24

It is quite quiet in August, some restaurants close as the Italians are on holiday. It will be very hot.

We booked a bandb near the train station. Was very cheap but not salubrious but we were out all day.

Mutt Sun 07-Apr-13 17:57:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bizzey Sun 07-Apr-13 18:05:51

Thanks for your replies...

sylbiv...had not even gotten as far as booking a tour grin...but when I visited many years ago I didnt feel it need it ...The atmosphere was enough !
So was not going to do one !

I think October would be my better date...even I know the Italians leave Rome in August !

Which will be my better /cheaper airport to fly into out of the 2 Rome airports
from Gatwick/ Heathrow

IntheFrame Sun 07-Apr-13 18:54:56

We did it in August and it was hot- but much cheaper. You just had to walk around early and late and sleep in the middle. We had an apartment - definitely the way to go as you can sit on the balcony in the afternoon with wine and just relax. Feeding is easier too and then you just eat ice creams out and about and maybe evening meals

The underground colosseum tour is really worth doing as it's more interesting (and cooler in August) and you still do the outside bit like everyone else. You need to book but everything else we just turned up for. The Sistine chapel needs booking (we took a look at the queue and ran away) but we just marched to the top of St Peters which was empty first thing.

Muflone2015 Sun 08-Nov-15 08:00:35

Just back from Rome and really enjoyed visiting the Villa Bourghese Park on the last day. Shaded expanse of parkland near Spagna metro. We took a football to kick around although also a boating lake and bicycle hire by the hour.Kids also enjoyed the BioParc (zoo) and quite a few unique and endangered species not seen elsewhere.

sandgrown Sun 08-Nov-15 08:08:53

Definitely not August.Far too hot for sightseeing. We booked low cost flights and just found a hotel on the internet. There are lots of last minute 3/4 day breaks to Rome but possibly not available at school hols. My children wanted to see the Boca De Veritas?? The queues at the Colosseum were huge so maybe book in advance.

Wolpertinger Sun 08-Nov-15 08:33:55

How are you searching?

It will be cheapest to plan it yourself with an apartment - look on AirBnB or booking.com. I've just found whole apartments for a week in May for around £800 without searching too hard.

Check your flights on www.skyscanner.net Easyjet or Ryanair look like your best options with flights for 2 adults and 3 kids in May coming in at £250. There are options from Stansted, Luton and Gatwick.

Have a lovely time.

Cymraesfach Sun 08-Nov-15 08:37:35

Have a look on a website called housetrip to find a self catering flat. We found quite a few nice ones.

Wolpertinger Sun 08-Nov-15 08:41:51

Ooh, just seen you only want 4 nights - I was looking at 8! So if you look on AirBnB you can get an apartment in falling over distance of the Coliseum in May for 4 nights for £468.

Have a look - you holiday is totally doable on far less money.

rookiemere Sun 08-Nov-15 10:18:13

we stayed in a great apartment. I'm just about to move away from the computer so i can't link now, but I'll try to do it over the next couple of days.

rookiemere Mon 09-Nov-15 16:37:21

Here is is www.flipkey.com/rome-condo-rentals/p275412/?utm_source=flipkey&utm_medium=email&utm_term=propertyname&utm_campaign=rbo_inquiry_confirm. It was very central and quiet and importantly had wi-fi .

notmynameohno Mon 09-Nov-15 16:43:23

Don't know where you live but we got very cheap Ryannair flights last Oct half-term from Manchester. Was still tshirt weather.

notmynameohno Mon 09-Nov-15 16:44:56

For gory you must take the DC to the Capuchin crypt.

PestoSkiissimos Mon 09-Nov-15 16:44:55

The OP posted for advice on this 2 & 1/2 years ago, am sure she's been & come back by now grin

rookiemere Mon 09-Nov-15 17:27:53

Oh yes well spotted pesto and I looked up the blinkin apartment and everythink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: