Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in Paris

(19 Posts)
CHICagoMUM Wed 10-May-06 21:53:02

DH is taking me to Paris in a couple of weeks for a long w/e for our anniversary. We have been several times and have done the usual things (eiffel tower, the louvre, sacre couer etc). Would like some ideas/tips of lesser known places to visit, alternative ideas etc.

Olipop Wed 10-May-06 21:55:39

went to dali museum (near the sacre couer) and found it really interesting.....was my engagement weekend so ..hold it...blimey...7 years ago!

hermykne Wed 10-May-06 21:59:10

just to walk thru thepalais royale beside the louvre is amazing with the fountains

head down to the rue monge for the lovely shops and street stalls plus a sq for lovely crepes and the arene de lutece for a mini mini coluseum. monge is the metro stop or maubert mutualite,

head to place st sulpice for the church and aura of the place plus some yummy shops and cafes to watch and gaze.

and the best department store
le bon marche
just around the corner from sulpice

AllieBongo Wed 10-May-06 22:00:10

a lovely walk at st germain..big house and lovely gardens

hermykne Wed 10-May-06 22:01:51

alliebongo
is that jardin du luxemborg? what house on st germain?

Thomcat Wed 10-May-06 22:03:23

I really enjoyed the long leisurely walk round the graveyard with Jim Morrison etcs graves.

Flea markets are good too.

CHICagoMUM Wed 10-May-06 22:04:26

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. Oh yes, like the idea of flea markets - anyone know where there is a good one?

hermykne Wed 10-May-06 22:05:46

clignancourt is the biggest , at the end of the metro line, cant rem which one but no hard to find out

Blu Wed 10-May-06 22:05:54

We went to the Paris Mosque. Very very beautiful, and lovely atmosphere - wander the perfect tiled architecture and sit on cushions for galsses of sweet mint tea and lovely pastries. Think best for a warm sunny day, though.

Whizzz Wed 10-May-06 22:07:46

We went years ago & went up inside the Arc de Triumphe - amazing views down the roads !

AllieBongo Wed 10-May-06 22:09:49

it was the suburb of st germain.. i was 16, can't remember ,much more.. nice house, pretty gardens

Pruni Wed 10-May-06 22:14:04

Message withdrawn

Thomcat Wed 10-May-06 22:18:16

The flea market I have been to twice was at the nd of the line on the metro. Shit, where was it. Will do my best to rememeber.

grumpyfrumpy Thu 11-May-06 08:01:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grumpyfrumpy Thu 11-May-06 08:03:57

prettybird Thu 11-May-06 08:58:52

The stained glass window church is called Sainte Chapelle and is well worth it. It is within the Palais de Justice.

Make sure to buy a Carte Musee - not only will it save you money if you go to more than one museum, it also means you skip the queues .Details of how to get it here

crunchie Sun 14-May-06 16:06:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jura Tue 16-May-06 00:30:46

sunnydelight Wed 17-May-06 13:57:50

DH and I went last month for a romantic weekend. We've done culture in Paris to death so now we stick to hedonism! Les Halles is great for shopping and has really cleaned up its act in recent years. Take a walk to the North end of Rue Mouffetard for a really colourful local food market - lots of lovely cafes to sit in and watch the world go by. On a street full of restaurants, "La Vieille Tour", 1 ru du pot de fer (off rue Mouffetard), has a much better choice of menus than most, is really reasonable, and their fois gras is to die for! We spent a great evening drinking cheap cocktails (happy hour lasted for three hours) in a bar staffed by seriously fit young men but unfortunately I can't remember where it was

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: