What are my chances?(10 Posts)
All sounds good, then.
Personally, a week sitting on a balcony enjoying spectacular mountain views while catching up on my reading, then nice nights out with family & friends sounds like bliss! Go for it!
Thanks. My own insurance company say I can go if the medics agree, but won't cover me for issues related to the break. They don't offer that as an extra either, but plenty of other companies do as a one-off trip, and the premium for the week is under £20. Am seeing the GP a few days before I go, and hopefully he'll say yes. The flight is around 2 hours. I think I'd be low-risk DVT. It would be over 4 weeks since the surgery.
Phoned Easyjet and have (provisionally) booked assistance at both airports and a seat with extra legroom. I have no plaster cast or boot and I can bend my knee to almost 90 degrees but even so, I'd need wiggle-room.
Are you flying? You need to check with the airline that they will be willing to take you with a recently broken leg - they may require a doctor's certificate certifying you as fit to fly. You may also need to arrange extra legroom to accomodate you if you are still in plaster - not sure from your post if this is the case. Also you would probably need assistance at the airport and priority boarding if you are immobile.
Have you tried asking the insurance company whether they would be willing to cover you for leg-related stuff too for an additional premium?
OK, so I've phoned the insurance company and informed them. They say I'm still insured for anything that happens on holiday, as long as it isn't related to the leg injury. Which is a whole grey area, as far as I'm concerned. For a start, it would preclude DVT. But what about if I fell over and they could claim it was because I was doddery on the dodgy leg? Even if it wasn't?
So, I suppose the next thing is to see if I could get a one-off insurance just to cover anything leg-related that the EHIIC didn't deal with. Any experience or recommendations?
There's wifi available. So could be MN'ing!
I don't know. Lots of hurdles to overcome before I decide. Insurance is the main one, however. And I'd need to be more mobile than I am right now, but it's over 2 weeks away.
Poor you. I would probably do the same (assuming insurance allowed it). In fact, if you are unlikely to be stretchered off the slopes, shouldn't most issues be covered by an E111?
It is quite dull sitting in a ski resort while others ski, however good the views...take lots of good books and maybe a few dvds.
I'm not intending to leave the residence much, if at all, if I go. If we go out to eat, dh would drive me to the door of the restaurant. Otherwise there's a large group of us self-catering, so lots of company in the evenings/lunchtimes.
I know it would be dull (and am gutted I won't be able to ski, although I've developed fear since I fell so won't be taking any risks ever again at all!!) but not half so dull as staying home alone. I know the resort and the residence, so I'd have a sunny balcony and gorgeous views of the slopes.
Re: the break, it will have been over 5 weeks since I did it, and it's been pinned and plated. The drs said it's stronger than before.
If you go although not skiing it will still be icy and slippery. ask your doctor what they think. to fall again and rebreak would not be a good idea. how likely this is depends on when you broke it what you broke and your age so best to get some good advice. likelihood is that your insurance company would cover you for a broken arm say but not if you rebroke your leg. did my knee in on a skiing holiday and it was pretty dull being the one left off piste and behind all the time tbh
We have a family skiing holiday booked for February half term, but I have stupidly gone and broken my leg. I had written off the whole thing on my own account, athough the rest of the family will go.
But I feel I'm making a good recovery and although I obviously can't ski, or go anywhere near the snow, I have been wondering if I might go along and use the week to convalesce in mountain air, sitting on a sunny balcony reading a book with fabulous views. Better than staying home alone and drowning my sorrows.
Obviously I need to inform my insurance company - we've been with them for years. Are they likely to agree to this, or would they exclude me from cover? Any advice gratefully received.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.