Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 year olds first plane ride tips ?

(4 Posts)
roseyposeysmum Tue 15-Jan-13 22:12:24

I have finally bitten the bullet and booked a holiday for me and my daughter to Zante at the end of August and she is really excited but seems a bit wary about the plane.

I haven't flown for years and am not keen on taking off and landing but obviously not going to show this, do any seasoned travellers have any advice so i can make this fun and not stressful at all for her or any tips on how to keep her occupied ?

thanks

mummymeister Wed 16-Jan-13 03:44:10

had the same problem and found a number of (pre vetted) clips on youtube to show my kids so they knew what to expect. Make sure you take plenty of things to do with you and if worried some sweets for her to suck.

TheSkiingGardener Wed 16-Jan-13 03:58:44

Usborne do a great book. A4 size with stickers, that tells you the process and what to expect and makes it all fun. You could also do something similar yourself, with a number of things to spot on a list.

Zante isn't a long flight but I'd take at least 4 different things to do and bring them out one at a time, phased over the journey. So books, game, colouring, watch a DVD, toys etc. changing every half hour. My DS tends to sleep on the plane too which helps!

notcitrus Wed 16-Jan-13 04:10:20

Explain about the airport procedures and how long that will be - check in, passport control, getting to the gate, finally boarding, possibly needing a bus to get to the plane.

Kids often expect to arrive at the airport and get straight on the plane just like a train, and the tedious reality isn't a good surprise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now