Talk

Advanced search

flying with infant in seat

(19 Posts)
tiggersreturn Sun 13-Jan-13 18:37:18

I've booked a seat for 1 of my dts as we're flying 2 wks before they're 2 and now easyjet are saying we need a forward facing car seat to take with and not a booster. Has anyone done this and if so what seat did you use? It seems ridiculous to me as there's no Grt physical change likely to occur over 2 wks.

gregssausageroll Sun 13-Jan-13 18:59:24

It will be right as an under 2 is always on a parents knee for take off and landing.

It may well be easy jets policy - lots of airlines do not allow one parent to travel alone with twins.

Stormbound Sun 13-Jan-13 19:42:03

easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5552/~/flying-with-children

The Easyjet website tells you what kind of car seats they accept (section 3 I think). It's a CAA regulation, not just specific to Easyjet.

poodletip Sun 13-Jan-13 19:51:10

They are very much safer in a car seat than on your lap...

flyingwithchildren.blogspot.co.uk/

poodletip Sun 13-Jan-13 19:54:35

They are very much safer in a car seat than on your lap...

flyingwithchildren.blogspot.co.uk/

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 13-Jan-13 20:01:39

We have taken a Maxicosi on an internal US flight and this passed the regulations. There is also an extra webbing harness that can be bought and complies with US regs but I don't know about EU. A booster seat is not allowed by any airlines because of the regs, AFAIK.

lagoonhaze Sun 13-Jan-13 20:07:47

The seat must be able to be secured with only the fitted aircraft seat belt (not an infant/extension seat belt)

I think this means a lapbelt in which case only a britax eclipse or britax prince are suitable. Please do check this though.

Salamanger Sun 13-Jan-13 20:09:07

We've done this with DD. There aren't many seats that are narrow enough and can be fitted with just a lapbelt. We found a Britax Freeway on Ebay and it was great as we were in the air for ten hours. DD could sleep and was held securely when awake. The seat has a recline function. I think a Britax Prince is the same or similar. We attached a strap for carrying it around airports, and strapped a bag into it on occasion. It has to have a safety label still on I believe, but I think ours was only checked by US cabin crew.

BertieBotts Sun 13-Jan-13 20:12:11

Why would you want to put an under 2 year old in a booster anyway? confused

The seats suggested by others sound good.

lagoonhaze Sun 13-Jan-13 20:14:47

Britax freeway is the old britax prince.

tiggersreturn Sun 13-Jan-13 23:10:13

Thanks for all the responses. How do you manage to get a heavy stage 2 seat all the way up the steps to the plane with 2 toddlers, 1 ds aged 6 and just me and dh? Are there any lighter seats that you don't need both hands to carry?

tiggersreturn Sun 13-Jan-13 23:19:45

Also I've just checked the width of the britax and it's 45cm. Easyjet have said the seat can't be wider than 42cm. Does anyone know a seat which even fits these dimensions?

katharinehepburn Mon 14-Jan-13 17:47:01

We flew with easyjet and (I think) Thomas Cook with dd2 aged under 2. Booked her a seat both times as was cheaper than paying for extra luggage! No car seat faff though, just sat her on our knee in lap belt whenever seatbelt sign on. I did easyjet online chat to check that was ok before booking and took printout of screenshot with me but no hassle other than having to stop other passengers sitting in her seat when boarding.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 14-Jan-13 18:08:36

do you even need to take a carseat with you? We just sat them in the plane seat with the lap belt on and have never taken a carseat on holiday with us.

Megsdaughter Mon 14-Jan-13 18:15:04

We used a Gogokidz for the car seat

Megsdaughter Mon 14-Jan-13 18:17:04

this site tells you which seat fits on them

janek Mon 14-Jan-13 18:26:49

Can't you and your dh just have a twin each on your lap for take-off and landing and then surely there's no need for a carseat, is there?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 14-Jan-13 19:46:13

Janek, the issue is that if there is a seat booked, it needs to be suitable for the child to sit in. However, the poster above who called Easyjet I think offers the best solution re laps if EJ are ok with this.

tiggersreturn Mon 14-Jan-13 20:54:24

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now