Advanced search

Do I need EHIC as well as travel insurance?

(10 Posts)
CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Tue 08-Jan-13 09:39:13

Yes it is essential to have the EHIC - insurers often will not cover treatment which can be obtained free with an EHIC, such as emergency treatment.

Also, as you are going skiing, make sure you carry the cards for the whole family with you on the slopes. I had a collision while skiing in Spain and needed emergency treatment at the resort medical centre. The staff insisted on seeing my EHIC before they would go ahead with xrays etc. Luckily I had it with me after the experience of a friend while skiing in France. He had an accident and the resort medical centre insisted on his DW going back to his hotel room to get the EHIC before they would authorise treatment.

meditrina Sat 05-Jan-13 11:16:14

You need to check the policy - sone only pay out permitted costs not covered by EHIC, so unless you do have an all-singing all-dancing (expensive) one, then get the card.

They're quick and easy to get, free and are useful and are valid for several years. And definitely worth having for DCs as insurance for school trips to Europe is invariably based on EHIC top up.

LIZS Sat 05-Jan-13 10:29:45

yes, they cost nothing and might save you a bill (which in CH would be high even for a minor injury or ailment!).

Iwantacampervan Sat 05-Jan-13 07:20:10

The EHIC cards are free so, for me. it is sensible to get them as well and they last a few years - there are websites which try to make you pay so be careful.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 04-Jan-13 12:59:44

As long as you have sufficient travel insurance the EHIC is not absolutely necessary on top of that.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 04-Jan-13 12:03:55

Yes! In many countries EHIC covers about 90% of the cost, insurance tops up the 'extras' like transporting you home.

Though, when a friend broke his leg skiing in France, his insurer was very keen to keep him there until able to travel unaided, precisely because they paid so little for treatment, whereas sending a prone patient home is very expensive. With insurance you get what you pay for and always check the fine print.

PrincessFiorimonde Fri 04-Jan-13 12:00:09

I think some (most?) insurers stipulate you must have EHIC so that basic problems are covered. Am pretty sure that's what my travel insurance says.

Also, you might find if you need, eg, one doctor's consultation and some antibiotics, the cost would be less than the excess on your travel insurance but the EHIC would cover it (not sure about this point; it's just a guess).

Theas18 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:58:54

EHIC for ordinary stuff, basically you are treated the same as the residents of the country you are in, so if they pay a small charge so do you (but can clain it back I think).

Insurance esp for skiing in case bad things happen to cover expensive treatment that might not be " on the NHS" in the country you are in and to airlift you home if needed. Also silly but ££££ things- well child with recent broken limb can't fly as too soon post surgery etc, will cover new flights/hotel etc

Theas18 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:56:22


hotfudge Fri 04-Jan-13 11:52:28

We're off on a family skiing holiday to Switzerland next month. I'm about to sort out travel insurance for us but a friend has said I also need a European Health Insurance Card - I know a EHIC on its own is not sufficient cover, but if I have insurance do I also need a EHIC?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now