Talk

Advanced search

Taking UK car seats to North America - ok insurance wise?

(13 Posts)
Waswondering Wed 05-Apr-06 12:38:25

We're spending Christmas/new year in Canada with family. We will have an awful lot of driving, and will be making a return trip to the airport "alone" (ie the four of us) which will take 2-3 days. We're therefore hiring a car and will need two car seats.

Does anyone know if it's ok to take your own car seats to Canada, and put them in a hire car? A colleague suggested that there could be insurance implications if the North American system of fixings and fittings is different from ours. I know that there is an isofix style over there, but we're talking about taking a maxi cosi stage 1 (9m-4y) and a britax rock a tot, the type that fasten with the passenger belts (ie not isofix).

We were being quoted approx $300 to hire the seats, hence the idea to take our own, just to clarify. At least with our own we also know how they work.

Anyone with any experience? I would be most grateful!

DaddyCool Wed 05-Apr-06 12:43:06

i want to know this too - bump.

apparently canada has changed it's rules on this recently.

i'm taking over our car seat to canada in May. I really don't want to buy another one.

Waswondering Wed 05-Apr-06 16:57:50

Bumping this for North Americans coming online . . .

Gem13 Wed 05-Apr-06 17:20:32

Can you contact the car hire you were planning to use?

We had such a rubbish carseat when we hired a car in Georgia we went out and bought another one.

TheBlonde Wed 05-Apr-06 17:46:57

I would take my own seats personally

Here is some info
link

TheBlonde Wed 05-Apr-06 17:48:42

Last paragraph says you don't have to use latch so your own seats should be fine

LizP Wed 05-Apr-06 20:08:17

I always take the rock-a-tot - but have found that some american cars don't have seat belts long enough in the back and airbags in the front - so had to change cars. This was a few years ago with ds1 - now have so much stuff that ds3 takes it and it is fine as we just get one of those giant SUVs.

Waswondering Wed 05-Apr-06 21:52:41

TheBlond - thanks for that link - it's useful.

Will contact the carhire folks and see what they say. The fact that we know the history of our own seats was also appealing.

Interesting . . .

scienceteacher Wed 05-Apr-06 21:56:42

Don't know about Canada, but technically in the USA, you need USA approved seats.

TheBlonde Wed 05-Apr-06 22:14:48

Yes technically in the UK you can only use EU approved seats
However what is the likelihood of someone stopping you and checking that your seat has whatever standard - it just doesn't happen

Waswondering Fri 26-May-06 08:52:34

Just bumping this again for any other words of wisdom/experience . . .

pegasus Fri 26-May-06 09:47:51

Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know this regarding the USA?

TinCan Fri 02-Jun-06 21:49:15

Personally I would just go with your own seat since you know its history and how to use it. But if insurance is a concern for you and the rental company policy isn't clear, then maybe try contacting the carseat companies.

Britax seats are sold in the US. I would call Britax USA and ask them. The website is britaxusa.com & their customer service number is 1-888-427-4829.

I think maxi cosi is also sold in the US - try a web search (I would have looked for you but my online access is very slow today for some reason).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: