Talk

Advanced search

City break ideas with a 1 year old

(14 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 22-Oct-12 12:44:58

Been to Paris and New York (without baby) , loved them both! Do any mners have any recommendations for city breaks for around 3 nights with a 1 year old?

mummymeister Mon 22-Oct-12 15:10:55

do you want to fly? can you face flying with 1 yr old and all the stuff they need just for 3 nights? what about somewhere nice like Bath or do you want to go abroad op

Fluffy1234 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:21:57

I think I'd go for Barcelona, nice short flight and maybe a sneaky pop to Port Aventura theme park.
Palma is also a really lovely city, or Rome.

MaureenCognito Mon 22-Oct-12 16:22:38

i did paris with baby

easy
youd find it hard to fill more than a day in Bath fgs

noramum Mon 22-Oct-12 16:25:03

I found 1 year is ideal. They still sleep a lot, don't mind sitting in a buggy and looking at the world.

I would stay in Europe though, no point in jet leg just for 3 days. Flying with a tod is easy.

noramum Mon 22-Oct-12 16:26:08

Sorry, hit the wrong button.

How about Germany, Berlin or Hamburg?

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 22-Oct-12 17:55:26

Thank you all.

forevergreek Mon 22-Oct-12 18:01:50

Berlin, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels..

I love travelling with this age, like someone said they are happy 90% of the time to sit in buggy/ sling and watch.

We hardly take anything travelling with this age tbh, either co sleep or hire travel cot in hotel. They eat whatever's offered. Couple changes of clothes and some nappies

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 22-Oct-12 18:11:36

Christmas market, took DDs when small to Munich. Lots of sparkling lights and amazing window displays.

allthefun Mon 22-Oct-12 20:34:46

Rome is a bit too uneven to be comfortable with a child in a buggy IMO.

Barcelona is good as you don't need the underground to get around. Plenty to see without having to go into anywhere - Parc Guell, beach etc .Also good if you are going before next summer as Barcelona isn't too cold. I got fed up of wrapping up a toddler in a hot hotel to be out in freezing Venice.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 22-Oct-12 22:08:49

The thing is dd started walking at 9.5 months and now pretty much refuses to sit in pram for longer than 10 mins a at a time...so maybe a city break isn't the best thing to do at this age?

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 22-Oct-12 22:10:22

Is it best to wait until the summer and do a beach holiday do you thing?

forevergreek Tue 23-Oct-12 07:10:50

I think all year around is fine. Although actually summer not as easy imo.

In the last year we have done, Paris weekend , France skiing, krakow weekend break, morocco summer break, Venice and Berlin long weeekends. The hardest was the Moroccan one. Maybe as it was the longest, but found that the beach wasnt the greatest place as they weren't keen on sand everywhere after a short while, and was too hot so had to work out when to go out/ avoid being out

Where as the other places were out of peak summer and much better

Actually that reminds me, krakow was lovely in the spring. It's small enough that you can do in a day, so a three day trip was leisurely, lots of car free areas and lots of restaurants and cafes with large spaces for buggy etc ( we ate outside mainly as was warm enough)

forevergreek Tue 23-Oct-12 07:18:46

Also, we usually only take buggy when hot, and just along otherwise, so more stuff in summer smile

The 3 day breaks are great as just a regular rucksack each, baby strapped to front and sorted ( saves time a lot also as can arrive 40 before flight as nothing to check in, and many airport are v slow at the other end so saves time waiting for luggage and allows you to beat the crowds out as they are all waiting

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: