Talk

Advanced search

Taking honey on the flight

(16 Posts)
ihatethecold Thu 11-Oct-12 11:12:59

I'm going to Florida in 2 weeks and my dd9 has whooping cough.
She is in no way contagious but she needs honey to help her with the coughing.

If I decant some into a small bottle, do you think I will be allowed to take it on the plane?
Tia

exexpat Thu 11-Oct-12 11:15:04

If it's a small bottle (less than 100ml size) that should be fine according to the usual liquid restrictions.

But are you sure she's not contagious? If she's still coughing, I would have thought that a plane would be the ideal environment to spread it to lots of other people.

ihatethecold Thu 11-Oct-12 11:17:26

She really isn't. I wouldn't dream of inflicting it on anyone. By the time we go she will be 2 months into it and has had 3 lots of antibiotics.
It's just the coughing that takes along time to stop (100days)

PrincessOfChina Thu 11-Oct-12 11:18:32

I think honey is usually on a list of banned items. Not sure why though?

PrincessOfChina Thu 11-Oct-12 11:21:20

Here you go You certainly can't bring it back into the UK. You might now ok just taking on the flight but I doubt other countries would let you bring it in iyswim.

LulaPalooza Thu 11-Oct-12 11:22:16

Oh your poor DD sad. I had whooping cough when I was little and remember the hideous coughing.

Would something like this help?

Am a bit shock at the price, but it's 100ml so the right size, plus it will be sealed and in its original packaging. Security might be a little hmm at decanted honey.

I hope she feels better soon x

LulaPalooza Thu 11-Oct-12 11:23:35

Did I overdo it with the smileys, there?!

ihatethecold Thu 11-Oct-12 11:46:09

Thanks for the links. It doesn't say whether I can take it on a flight. I wouldn't need to take in off the plane when I arrive. I could get some more at the supermarket.

I'm liking the link to the amazon posh honey.

LulaPalooza Thu 11-Oct-12 11:59:19

Silly price though!

Can your GP prescribe something?

soaccidentprone Thu 11-Oct-12 12:06:35

Something like these might be easier to take with you?

ihatethecold Thu 11-Oct-12 12:09:47

I've seen those in holland and Barrett
Thanks.
I've looked at the bat wick website and I can take honey but it will have to be in a 100ml container within a plastic bag

mummymeister Fri 12-Oct-12 12:51:28

Check with the airline as we were told under no circumstances to bring any food in with us. you would not want to be stopped at customs. also be prepared for other passengers to raise questions about your child coughing. some people can be really horrid (i put it down to being in a confined space) so suggest you try and sit not surrounded by others if poss. Let stewards know the situation when you board. you may find that the atmosphere in the plane makes her worse as it is very dry. hope you get something sorted out and it doesnt spoil your hols.

exexpat Fri 12-Oct-12 16:03:23

Mummymeister - what airline told you not to take food on board?

Taking food onto the plane has been absolutely fine on every flight I have ever been on, and I've flown a huge amount on long-haul flights with fussy-eating vegetarian children who won't touch airline meals, so I always self-cater.

The only issue these days is with liquids (100ml containers are fine). And you often have to ditch any uneaten food on arrival, particularly fruit and cheese, because of customs/quarantine rules, specially if you are going to Australia. But taking it onto the plane and eating it on board is not a problem.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Oct-12 16:50:02

mummymeister,

re your comment:-
"Check with the airline as we were told under no circumstances to bring any food in with us. you would not want to be stopped at customs".

I was wondering exactly the same as exexpat. Have never had any problems re taking food on board an aircraft long haul and I always take some food with me because I cannot abide the airline stuff. The only thing I have done on arrival is to make sure that I left any uneaten fruit on board.

MOSagain Mon 15-Oct-12 14:40:31

Agree with exexpat and Atilla, I've always taken food with me on flights for DC who will not touch airline food with a bargepole. I'm wondering if she means that there are certain foodstuffs (ie fruit) that you cannot take into some countries?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 18-Oct-12 10:13:46

You can take food on the plane no problem, we always take food of some kind with us.

I have bought honey in the duty free shops in Greece and brought it back to the UK, I'm sure you can take a small amount as long as it is less than 100ml.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now