Talk

Advanced search

Lapland...day trip? Where to find a good deal?

(12 Posts)
Ilovecake1 Wed 10-Oct-12 20:40:51

As above really..family of 4-2 adults and 2 children and hoping to visit Lapland this year, probably a day trip as it seems very expensive. Anyone been? Good tips? And most important....cheap prices?smile

ilikesweetpeas Wed 10-Oct-12 20:46:34

Watching with interest as I was going to ask the same question!

sunnyday123 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:50:11

Hi i have done a lot of research this year and have followed the companies checking prices daily etc!

Nearly all research suggests avoiding a day trip if possible - it's a 3hour flight with 2 hours airport either side which means for about 2k you will only get 5 hours there, less if theres any delays. If you monitor prices right you can get a 3 night break for about the same price.

I have booked 3 nights in saariselka with thomsons on the 16th for 2 adults and 2 kids for £2208 - booked in June. Since then I have been watch I prices every few days hoping that they don't reduce as I wasn't sure at the time whether to book!

Anyway since then prices have altered dramatically and at the moment they are the highest they have been since may! Certainly do not book now as I expect they'll drop closer to the time. I think it's peak time at the minute.

If you can fly Gatwick try crystal ski as they have some good Santa offers which I would have booked but we flying Manchester. Esprit are meant to be very good but much more expensive.

If you can, stretch to the longer trip as most day trip reviews are poor because it's so rushed and kids get exhausted. Thomsons have rovaniemi going for 3 nights for family of 4 for about £2250. You will be unlikely to find any stay trip for under £2k unless you book within a week or 2 before. Last year they we sill over £2k at the end of November as I checked then too!

The prices for day trips haven't changed at all over the months and are between £1700 and £2k for family of four so not much different to a few days!

Inghams, thomsons, cosmos all go but do check itinery as they vary not only by operator but also by resort within the same operator!

Ilovecake1 Thu 11-Oct-12 15:56:42

Hi sunny, thanks for your reply...lots of info!! After reading this and doing some research we are hoping to go 3 nights. Just seems mad to rush it in one day and hardly paying any extra!!! I was hoping to book this weekend but will follow your advice and wait till closer to the time. Getting a bit excited now...huge thanks again for your reply.

sunnyday123 Thu 11-Oct-12 17:32:05

No probs! The prices are crazy at the minute - basically the brochure prices with thomsons a £3k but they vary the online discount that they offer. Prices are changing by up to £800!!!

If a private Santa visit is important to you then check details carefully as some companies make it a shared visit with other families during the gala meal (inc in nearly all Santa breaks) whereas some get you to meet him privately after a sleigh snowmobile search for Santa ride!

I'm sure if you are flexible with dates that you would get something nearer the time but I'd leave it a few more weeks as lots of people seem to be booking now hence the price increase.

sailorsgal Sat 20-Oct-12 12:35:35

I would recommend going as far north aswell. More chance of good snow on the ground. smile

We went with Thomson. Private visit with Santa was included. Was an amazing time. Loved it.

Haribojoe Sat 20-Oct-12 12:42:33

We went 3 years ago on the day trip with Thomsons (was a surprise trip planned by my Mum for us before we died).

At the time we had 2 DC who were 4 and 2.

We had the most wonderful day. We had sleigh rides, husky rides stories by firelight and a magical visit with Santa.

One excellent tip I was given was that if you wanted Santa to give a special individual gift just approach in of the Hellers.

At the time DS1 (4) loved the polar express, we arranged for Santa to give him a gold bell just like the one in the film. Was Such a magical moment I'm welling up now just typing this.

We intend to go back again when our littlest ones are a bit older smile

Haribojoe Sat 20-Oct-12 12:43:14

?Hellers should be helpers blush

sunnyday123 Sat 20-Oct-12 13:28:36

Thomsons prices have reduced by £400 today so about £2500 for 3 nights- was £2980 a few days ago! May be worth another look? Check cosmos as I saw a 3 nits trip for family of four for £2050 (to levi) the other day on the 12 th December!

Shoshe Sat 20-Oct-12 13:47:59

I recommendation DO NOT DO A DAY TRIP!

Its not long enough, you spend most of your time on a coach, we were delayed by 2 hours getting there so had to miss lots of it. A complete waste of money.

Shoshe Sat 20-Oct-12 13:50:53

we went with these

So many peopled complained.

sailorsgal Sun 21-Oct-12 18:08:10

Inghams is another of the ski companies offering trips to Lapland so worth shopping around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now