Talk

Advanced search

Where to go in Turkey?

(10 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 10-Oct-12 12:45:27

Oh, dd and I are planning to go to Turkey June '13. Dd will be around 18 months and we would like somewhere that is beachy/resorty but not too touristy or Brits abroad.

Any recommendations on where to go in Turkey and also hotel suggestions?

Thank you.

cheekydevil Wed 10-Oct-12 13:34:59

I can highly recommend Olu Deniz area as the lagoon is nice for paddling for little ones and the hotels are of a really good standard.
I have stayed at the Belcekiz (pronounced Bellcheckiz) which is the number 1 hotel in Olu on Tripadvisor.
This is one of the nicer areas of Turkey so not 'Brits Abroad' type place.
Lykia world has a lot of good reviews but it is out on its own a bit so you can't have a walk down the sea front at night with a pushchair etc and it is completely self contained so might not be so 'football shirt free' IYSWIM?
If you go for this area make sure it is Olu Deniz and not Hisoranu as some travel agents try to tell you it's the same area...it is not.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Wed 10-Oct-12 18:01:01

Thank you cheekydevil that's really useful.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 12-Oct-12 22:13:57

Have a look at the Bodrum Peninsula, there are some lovely resorts there; Bitez, Yalikavak, Turgutreis, Torba, Ortakent, Gumusluk. They are allmore traditional so you won't find loud bars, English breakfasts and the typical Brits abroad.

It is very family friendly, we have been going there with our children for years.

charlearose Sat 13-Oct-12 14:42:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sat 13-Oct-12 14:46:26

Kalkan- best holiday I've ever been on! So pretty, boutique-y and just adorable. Hire a villa and eat in the little traditional turkish cafes- you'll love it.

chickydoo Sat 13-Oct-12 14:47:24

2nd Kalkan
Dalyan is nice too.

CoteDAzur Sat 13-Oct-12 15:09:23

Olu Deniz is a tourist area (as can be seen from this thread smile. It's nice, but invaded by international tourists and the sea isn't great imho. It's pretty much flat all the time (hence the name "Olu" (Dead) "Deniz" (Sea)) but Turkey has much better beaches on the Aegean side.

Take a look at Cesme and especially Alacati (a part of Cesme). It is on the Western coast of Turkey. You fly into Izmir. Miles of beautiful beaches of fine white sand, quaint little town with narrow streets and lovely little restaurants. The sea is so shallow for so long that you walk and walk for it to reach your waist and then walk some more. It is perfect for small children since you can put them by the water with a bucket and it's safe because it is a few inches deep for several meters. Also, Alacati has become quite popular with Turkish tourists in recent years but is pretty much unknown to foreigners so it is highly unlikely that you will see any Brits there.

cheekydevil Sat 13-Oct-12 20:07:51

That sounds beautiful cote but really no need to be sarcastic hmm Olu Deniz is named so because of its shallow calm waters which are protected by a preservation order. You make it sound like Benidorm

CoteDAzur Sat 13-Oct-12 21:48:18

"Sarcastic"??? All I said was that Olu Deniz means "Dead Sea" because the sea is flat (i.e. no waves) pretty much all the time.

What on earth did you think I said?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now