Talk

Advanced search

guaranteed snow in winter. Norway or Scotland?

(7 Posts)
desperateforaholiday Sun 30-Sep-12 09:14:55

Starting to plan ahead for next year, dh is 40 next Christmas and we want a winter cabin with beautiful surroundings for us and 3 dc, any recommendations for either Scotland or Norway? Got to be snowy though, gas anybody been Norway in winter? Thanks

5Foot5 Sun 30-Sep-12 20:30:02

Norway any time of year is very expensive. If you go to the North of Norway won't it be dark nearly all the time at that time of year?

oricella Sun 30-Sep-12 20:48:12

If you absolutely need snow, Norway is your best bet - but as said, dark and expensive. Having said that, local rumour has it we're in for a cold winter in Scotland (something about the berries on cairngorm being out big and early). How about the Alps - might be more affordable

justtryingtodomybest Sun 30-Sep-12 21:01:33

Despite what everyone might think, there's no guarantee of snow in Scotland! However if you went somewhere like Aviemore there's probably a pretty good chance.
I've never been to Norway but I imagine it being like a winter wonderland, all crisp white snow with blazing fires in log cabins.
Whereas, in Scotland, you could well end up with miserable sleet when everything seems damp and it's impossible to get warm.
I know it might not sound like it but I do actually love living in Scotland!

Bedname Sun 30-Sep-12 21:10:47

Renting a cabin in Norway doesn't have to be very exensive.

here's one website
www.norgesbooking.no/en/cabin-rentals
I had a quick look and there are cabins for 400 pounds (NOK 4000) for five nights. That's quire reasonable for five people isn't it?

Prices depends on the kind of standard you want, obviously.

Food is more expensive than UK, but in a cabin you'll be self catering, so wont make that much of a difference. Maybe 40 percent more expensive in supermarkets than in the UK.

Southern Norway is on the same level as northern Scotland, so wouldn't think there is a huge difference regarding how dark it is. In Northern Norway it is indeed very dark in winter, so I wouldn't go there

the higher altitude, the better chance of snow.

noramum Sun 30-Sep-12 21:40:34

I wouldn't count to the alps. A friend is from the French part of Switzerland and more often than not they had a green Christmas.

I would go for Scandinavia.

sunnyday123 Tue 09-Oct-12 13:50:34

Would you consider Lapland? We are taking the kids there this year but there's tons for adults! Ski, snow mobiles, reindeers, sledging etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now