Talk

Advanced search

Where to go in October?

(43 Posts)
JollyHoliday77 Sat 22-Sep-12 12:43:00

Name change as if you know me in RL it's pretty obvious who I am.

So, DH and I have two weeks off coming up, from 1 October. We've been really lucky over the last few years and have been to some great places, but are totally stuck for inspiration this time.

We like interesting places, but are happy to read books. If we're to go abroad, we like to see something of the country, and definitely don't like nightclubs or lager-fuelled fun (although we do like a drink). Scenery is always appreciated, especially if it involves hills/mountains/lakes/rivers. We would prefer day flights, and happy to negotiate on temperature. Also very happy to stay in the UK.

Places we have enjoyed include Bordeaux, Ireland road trip, Dalyan in Turkey, Acharavi in Corfu, Washington/Oregon road trip, Bruges and camping in Dorset. Friends in RL have recommended Paphos, Luxor and the Norfolk Broads.

It's just the two of us, and we can afford up to 800pp for two weeks b&b.

I hope I don't sound like I'm bragging, we are really grateful that we can afford the time and money to have a holiday. We've been working really hard for the last few months and are really looking forward to going away somewhere and want to make the most of it.

Thank you!

SoleSource Sat 22-Sep-12 12:55:29

Not bragging at all!

No suggestions but wish you all the best ,smile

Binkybix Sat 22-Sep-12 12:58:38

Could combine one of the nice Spanish cities like Seville, Granada, or Barcelona with somewhere on the coast for a bit of variety?

squeakytoy Sat 22-Sep-12 13:03:07

Italy. Lots of sight seeing, lakes, mountains, lovely restaurants..

JollyHoliday77 Sat 22-Sep-12 13:06:44

Binky, that sounds like just the sort of thing that we'd enjoy, do you need to be able to speak Spanish? I've only ever been to Madrid, and being with a Spanish speaker then certainly helped a lot. I speak French, but Spanish is restricted to 'cerveza por favor'!

Thanks, Sole, I wavered for ages on whether to post in case it came across thatI was showing off. Tone is very hard to judge on a forum!

quoteunquote Sat 22-Sep-12 13:16:58

Corsica, Sardina are both lovely, north Africa is interesting if you get off the beaten track, and do your research on where to stay.

squeakytoy Sat 22-Sep-12 13:17:21

You will find that it is really easy to communicate in almost any european country. I struggled recently in Holland but we were in a very rural spot. In the bigger cities, particularly ones that have a high tourism industry plenty of people will speak english too.

TidyGOLDDancer Sat 22-Sep-12 13:17:42

Italy all the way. Ticks all your boxes.

I stayed in the Tuscany region with DP and we had a fantastic time. Perfect mix of relaxation and sightseeing, as we were up in the hills but within easy reach of the coast, as well as places like Pisa and Florence.

I can recommend a specific hotel if you are interested. Will PM you the details if so, it may out me to post it on here!

TidyGOLDDancer Sat 22-Sep-12 13:18:22

Oh, and had no problem with lack of Italian language skills, but did come back wanting to learn some!

Blackberrybush Sat 22-Sep-12 13:32:06

How about Israel? I have relatives there, so I've been a lot, you can go riding, there's great city and loads of history and ruins as wel as the sea and the weather. I don't know about costs though.

In the UK, I'd also say the Norfolk Broads were great. Great place, good for relaxing or active stuff. There are loads of boat holidays there- you could stay in a barge/canal boat maybe? Or go to Pembrokeshire, around St Davids, so right on the coast. Beautiful place, cliffs, sea- I went with DS1 and 2 last summer. DS1 learnt surfing, and I went coasteering (jumping from cliffs basically), dabbled in sea kayaking (no previous kayaking experience was needed, it was calm but really beautiful), went rock climbing and abseiling, and took a boat trip to Ramsay Island, where we saw harbour porpoises and loads of seals. It was great!

Otherwise, the Brecon Beacons are great. We went last Easter (just me and DH) and there's mountain railway (beautiful views, it was a steam train and we went up to the top) and went on a farm walk, it was led by a local farmer who had loads of sheep right up in the hills. We saw the herding, and everywhere you drove, sheep grazed on common land too. There were a few ponies who would come up to you when you were driving across the hills too. We went kayaking daily, hiking, we went 'gorge walking' (climbing around rivers basically) and horse riding! Really great, better than a lot of my foreign holidays.

Blackberrybush Sat 22-Sep-12 13:51:02

Poland and Russia are good? A lot of people overlook Eastern Europe, but it's great. Gdansk and Krakow in Poland, and flights and accomodation are very cheap to go there, and there's a lot of lakes too. You could also stay in the mountains, where there are lynxes etc; I've stayed in Krakow and Warsaw in my previous job, but my friend has a daughter who lives there, so she visits every holiday possible. In Russia, St Petersburg or Moscow maybe?

Ithinkitsjustme Sat 22-Sep-12 14:12:57

I would have said Kenya, but tbh I'd avoid anywhere with any violence kicking off atm, and Kenya isn't likely to settle down for a while. Hope you find somewhere nice.

JollyHoliday77 Sat 22-Sep-12 14:26:10

Apologies for disappearing for a while and thanks for all the suggestions. DH has decided against a road trip this time, so we're public transport or one location.

I love the suggestion of Moscow, it used to be my home and is my favourite city in the whole world! Not sure I'll get away with suggesting it again, we only went two years ago!!

I think you've given us enough material for several years' worth of holidays. I'm off to do some more research on prices, and may come back with more questions. Hope that's OK!

IWishIWasSheRa Sat 22-Sep-12 16:48:59

Gozo? Pretty island off of malta...

ThursdayWillBeTheDay Sat 22-Sep-12 16:54:13

Salamanca.

And take me with you. You could combine it with Madrid or Northern Spain.

kakapo Sat 22-Sep-12 16:54:20

Switzerland! I have just moved here and the scenery is amazing. Train fares are a bit steep, although I think rail passes make them better.

squeakytoy Sat 22-Sep-12 16:57:45

I would do a trip around Italy. Rome, Florence, Venice.

prettysunset Sat 22-Sep-12 17:00:46

Sperlonga in Lazio, Italy. Really lovely. We stayed at the Hotel Aurora. Can't wait to go back-a bit too grown up for kids.

hf128219 Sat 22-Sep-12 17:02:38

Jordan.

JollyHoliday77 Sat 22-Sep-12 17:06:21

Argh! Just been dragged to the travel agency in town. DH now wants to go to Tunisia and I'm in love with Slovenia (although that might be a bit hard without a hire car). Malta looks good too. Too many places to pick from!

AnOldieButNotSoGoody Sat 22-Sep-12 17:06:35

Californian road trip wink

gordyslovesheep Sat 22-Sep-12 17:08:09

Bavaria and Austria - beautiful, walking, climbing, views, snow (possibly) lovely cosy guest houses and beer

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Sat 22-Sep-12 17:09:09

What about three city holidays, getting the train between each?

I've done the following and loved them:

Rome, Florence and Venice.

Seville, Granada (to see the Alhambra) and then across to Tangiers.

Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam.

Or are you a Scandi-tv fan? A trip to Sweden or Norway would be good.

grovel Sat 22-Sep-12 18:27:37

I thought Tunisia was a dump.

Malta ticks your boxes.

I'd go to Dorset. Maybe Lyme Regis.

cozietoesie Sat 22-Sep-12 18:37:03

I'd be inclined to go for a cottage on the West Coast or Islands of Scotland - with that budget, you could afford to eat out a lot in some of the great hotels and restaurants if you chose right. Or simply cook great local food yourself. Go for one with real fires and close to the sea as well as the mountains for walks - loads around still. (Or easily persuadable owners if they're just tthinking of taking them off the market for the season.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now