Talk

Advanced search

Florida - Discovery Cove Dolphins

(11 Posts)
Growlithe Tue 18-Sep-12 22:26:39

Hi,

We are going to Florida at Easter and really wanted to do the Dolphin Experience, but the website says the minimum age is 6 to swim with dolphins. I know DD1 would love this - she will be 9 then. DD2 will only be 4 though, and she will be obviously left out.

It will be an all or nothing thing, if DD2 can get nothing out of it we won't be doing it.

Has anyone done this? If so, do younger children in the family get something out of it even if they can't do the swim, or can they just not go along at all? DH would go with DD1 as long as DD2 could in some way get involved with me. Is this possible?

TIA

mumto2andnomore Wed 19-Sep-12 07:03:08

Not been myself but I'm sure you can either buy a ticket to swim with the dolphins or just a general admission ticket.

bananaistheanswer Wed 19-Sep-12 07:59:42

We did this in may. Your youngest can watch from the shore, and non swimmers can also get the experience in the shallow area as well. If I'm being totally honest, the swim wasn't that special. It's v over priced, lasts a v short time and it was not the highlight for me at all. The grand reef was my favourite bit, you swim with rays and tropical fish. I think your oldest DD will enjoy the swim but for the price I still think its poor value for money. Worth spending the whole day there but IMO the dolphin swim wasn't the best bit.

PorkyandBess Wed 19-Sep-12 08:09:54

Please don't support somewhere like Discovery Cove if you love dolphins.

These places are cruel and unnatural for these clever, sensitive creatures.

We go to Florida every year. We always see dolphins in the wild, it's easy.

I'd suggest you do some research somewhere like PETA, before you make your decision. Don't let your children grow up thinking these places are ok.

Growlithe Wed 19-Sep-12 08:17:09

I will Porky - I feel a little naive now. Seeing them in the wild would be an amazing experience we could all enjoy. Thanks for this.

MrsjREwing Wed 19-Sep-12 08:28:50

They alternate the Dolphins.

As I have an endromental lump and was uncomfortable with Dolphin intrest I didn't swim, I sat nearby and watched, it is a lovely day out.

indiastar Wed 19-Sep-12 18:46:48

We went in March with a 4 and 5 year old (and older children). They couldn't swim with the dolphins, but they were allowed in the shallow end with a grown up holding them to see the dolphins up close and they were also included in the photos.

To be honest, the dolphin area was freezing compared to the other pools, it is also very dark and deep. It was a fantastic day out.

Floralnomad Wed 19-Sep-12 18:52:06

We did it a few years ago and agree that the dolphin swim was the least impressive bit of the day, the ray pools were fantastic though. Personally with DC's your ages I would think there was enough other stuff to do in Orlando that you could all join in with and would give it a miss. It is terrifically expensive for what it is.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 19-Sep-12 18:55:09

Agree with porky. There are plenty of places in the UK that do dolphin boat trips. You don't get to swim with them but it's still amazing and much kinder.

Growlithe Fri 21-Sep-12 06:31:12

Well we've decided to give it a miss. Having had a bit of a read of what PETA have to say, but more just having a think about it, I don't think its for us. We are all big softies towards animals and would hate the thought of the dolphins being unhappy.

There are plenty of things to spend or money on there anyway I suppose - that the whole family can enjoy grin

Thanks for the advice.

PorkyandBess Sat 22-Sep-12 22:09:14

Good for you, Growlithe!

So many people, who say they are animal lovers, go to these places without a thought.

Have a fabulous time, and I hope you get to see some dolphins in the wild - we go to sw Florida and we're always lucky enough to see loads from the beaches there and also from boat trips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now