Talk

Advanced search

Need a passport renewal, travelling in 5 weeks, risk check and send?

(8 Posts)
trixymalixy Thu 06-Sep-12 17:46:47

I've seen a few threads on here with frantic people about to go on holiday not received their passports back.

Does anyone know if things have calmed down enough for us to do check and send or should we do the one week service instead?

LineRunner Thu 06-Sep-12 17:50:47

Are you posting back an expired passport(s)?

Last time I renewed, and sent the old one back, it took a week. I was utterly amazed.

On the other hand, I still had the same address, and didn't look much different in the photo tbh. Dunno if that speed things up.

trixymalixy Thu 06-Sep-12 20:48:41

Yes. It's a renewal for DS so he looks a bit different now he's 5 than he did st 6 months old!!

ceeveebee Thu 06-Sep-12 21:00:08

I applied for my twins first passports - sent the forms off on 25 July but sent wrong fee blush. By the time they had written to tell me this and I had sent the right fee they said as far as they were concerned they received the forms on 10 August. And I had them both back by 28 August.
So long story short, it took them 18 days from the day they received it, and that includes a bank holiday.
I think you should be absolutely fine with 5 weeks for a renewal especially using check and send (which I will always do in future)

LineRunner Thu 06-Sep-12 21:26:30

I think as long you have a reliable counter-signatory (because DS's appearance has changed), and send back the old passport, then Check and Send should be fine.

notapizzaeater Thu 06-Sep-12 21:34:14

Got mine back last week took 12 days from sending them grin

trixymalixy Fri 28-Sep-12 11:27:45

In the end we used the fast track service as we had two sets of photos rejected by check and send. This was despite using one of those guaranteed photo services the second time grrrrr.

Time was marching on and when I phoned the passport service they said check and send was taking 3 weeks. I decided not to risk it and the passport arrived the day after my fast track appointment!!!!

AudeGorge Fri 28-Sep-12 14:24:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now