Talk

Advanced search

london with teenagers

(24 Posts)
tilbatilba Sun 29-Apr-12 01:35:08

We are spending two weeks in central London over Christmas with dd 14 & dd 13. What are some of the things you think two teenager girls would love to do and see?

OP’s posts: |
tilbatilba Sun 29-Apr-12 01:37:15

Should say we are coming from Oz so everything will be a novelty! Thank you in advance....

NatashaBee Sun 29-Apr-12 01:38:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

threeleftfeet Sun 29-Apr-12 01:54:21

Camden Market shopping at the weekend. Might be enjoyable for you too if you can stand the crowds.

Where will you be staying?

SeoraeMaeul Sun 29-Apr-12 02:11:49

At that age my nieces preferred covent garden as they liked the street performers and of course at that time their doting and childless auntie packed her credit cards grin
Now it's Camden or brixton market and their own cash

threeleftfeet Sun 29-Apr-12 02:15:59

Yes, Covent Garden is great, and probably the best suggestion so far for adults too.

SeoraeMaeul Sun 29-Apr-12 02:16:59

And of course a west end show to finish the day

likelucklove Sun 29-Apr-12 02:18:56

YY to all the above, and for a bit different, Carnaby Street, which is just off Oxford Street. Fab vintage stores ensuring you get something unique.
Maybe go see a show in the West End like Dirty Dancing or Wicked (if it's still going on).
Madame Tussaud's for a laugh, not a good place to go if their too 'cool' to pose with the mannequins IFSWIM, like my DB hmm
London Eye for sights.
Ice skating, think they have a massive rink somewhere at Xmas. Be very good for them if they've never had the experience before!
Can't think of anymore ATM due to lack of sleep, will have a think and see if any more come up!

likelucklove Sun 29-Apr-12 02:19:31

Oops sorry for the no spaces, silly iPhone blush

tilbatilba Sun 29-Apr-12 05:08:38

Lots of great ideas thank you ! We are staying in Kensington. Has anyone been to the Harry Potter set tour or done the Les Mis set tour ? Ice skating sounds brilliant and I know they are keen to go to the theatre. Thanks for all the great suggestions of places to shop...they might have to start saving now!

foxinsocks Sun 29-Apr-12 05:29:44

You can normally ice skate at Somerset house which is right near cov gdn so you can do those two together. Cov gdn great fun at Christmas time.

Dd has done the Harry potter set tour - i'll ask her about it

marshmallowpies Sun 29-Apr-12 05:45:10

Don't forget to do a bit of culture...National Gallery & then admire the Xmas tree in Trafalgar Square afterwards (& with any luck some carol singing).

Camden for teenagers definitely a big YY. If its a nice day, walk up Primrose Hill after for good views of London. Lots of good places to eat round Chalk Farm/Camden too.

threeleftfeet Sun 29-Apr-12 12:44:27

Oh, i didn't see it was Christmas. All the shopping areas will be great - unless it's very close to Christmas, in which case Oxford Street in particular will be full of crazy wide-eyed last-minute shoppers panic-buying anything not tied down grin

Last time I went to Covent Garden at Christmas the whole place smelt of mulled wine, lovely smile

crazynanna Sun 29-Apr-12 12:47:43

My 13yo dd's idea of "fun" is to stand outside a Kensington hotel at 8am in the pissing down rain to get a 0.2 second glimpse of a member of a boyband called Mindless Behaviour! confused

tilbatilba Sun 29-Apr-12 22:04:18

Thank you everyone....it's a way off yet but we're all looking forward to it and it's fun making a bit of a plan as the fortnight will just fly.

welovesausagedogs Sun 29-Apr-12 22:29:12

Oxford street - primark, Topshop, Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Apple store
Marylebone high street
Portobello Market
Camden Market

Galleries - Tate Modern,
Museums - Hunterian Museum, Science Museum, Natural History, Museum of childhood

Covent garden

London Eye, Tour Bus

CointreauVersial Sat 05-May-12 15:52:32

Riverboat trip on the Thames, from Embankment down to Tower Bridge, then on to Greenwich. Pretty cheap, and you get a tour commentary with all the sights. They do have enclosed ones so you won't freeze. Nice for all ages.

LyndsayT Fri 06-Jul-18 13:52:48

I work for a museum in central London and I'm looking for participants to test drive our new website. I'm looking for 14-19 year olds to tell us what they like/dislike etc about our website. If you are or know any 14-19 year olds please use the link below to find out more information and register your interest.

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9YXKWNN

PoptartPoptart Sun 15-Jul-18 08:49:18

Some suggestions, depending on budget...
Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park.
Afternoon tea at the Ritz.
Harrods shopping.
Covent Garden.
Iceskating at the Natural History Museum.
Harry Potter studios in Watford.
West End show.
Swimming at the Olympic Park (assault course inflatable sessions)
Windsor castle (changing of the guard)
Hampton Court.
London Dungeons.
Walk along Southbank,
London Eye.

PoptartPoptart Sun 15-Jul-18 09:07:17

Forgot to say the Orbital at the Olympic Park.
Great views and there is a huge slide from top to bottom. My DC loved it.
We combined this with the aqua inflatable swim session at the Olympic pool. Great fun.
My DC were 10, 12, 14 and 16 at the time. They all loved it.

sickmumma Wed 18-Jul-18 18:50:20

Ice skating outside of the natural history museum!

A trip down oxford street for shopping and to see the lights!

A west end musical is a must!

We did a Harry Potter tour last year and it was amazing! I am not sure how you would get there from Kensington as it's the other side of London so we drove but I am sure it's possible using public transport! I would book soonish though to get a preferred slot as it gets booked up quickly!

sickmumma Wed 18-Jul-18 18:52:10

@PoptartPoptart some amazing suggestions!

Also
Madame taussauds was great fun with ours!

PoptartPoptart Wed 18-Jul-18 22:05:41

Thanks @sickmumma - with four DS/DSS I have organised many, many days out over the years!!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 29-Jul-18 17:59:57

As the thread is over 6 years old hopefully the OP had a good time.

ZOMBIE THREAD

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in