Talk

Advanced search

New York - cool stuff to do please!

(8 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Fri 21-Oct-11 22:54:12

We're taking dd1 to NY for her 18th (have used BA miles to upgrade to 1st class - really excited!!)

It's about a week before Xmas and we're looking for cool stuff to do. She's been twice but last time was 7 years ago. I've been a few times so we're really looking for more off-beat recommendations. River Cafe is one of my favourites and she hasn't been there, but we're after a fun filled weekend.

Thanksx

PotteringAlong Fri 21-Oct-11 23:00:29

www.thehighline.org/

Well worth it!

LikeABlackFlameCandleBNQ Fri 21-Oct-11 23:01:23

Ellen Stardust Diner
Rainbow Room Revolving Restaurant at the top ofthe Marriott Marquis

both recommended by various NYC visitors

rockboobs Fri 21-Oct-11 23:03:46

Natural History Museum. I have to get my fix of the planetarium whenever I'm there!

There's a great saturday night show at Galapagos Artspace in Brooklyn, singers, trapeze artists Burlesque etc. Your 18 yo will love it. and you'll get cool points for suggesting it. have fun! i'm excited for you!

goingmadinthecountry Fri 21-Oct-11 23:16:02

All brilliant and exactly what we're after - a big thank you! I'm really excited too. We only booked the tickets this morning. She's working really hard at school in Y13 so deserves some fun. Then back to working on the 3 As required.......

Any ideas on Broadway shows? Should we book beforehand from here?

stickybean Fri 21-Oct-11 23:20:22

Cirque de soliel is in NYC at the moment in a show called Zarkana which is excellent, if that's still on it's worth it. The NYC ballet will be showing the Nutcraker over Xmas which might be special. War Horse is excellent too.

rockboobs Fri 21-Oct-11 23:39:40

yes. book whatever you can from here. Save yourself from logistical headaches smile

Geordieminx Mon 24-Oct-11 21:46:58

Del Friscos is the most amazing steak house... Not totally posh but lovely all the same, it's in Times Square, just across from the Magnolia Bakery.

The Boathouse in Central Park is also fab.

We had a lovely time down at Seaport, which has a lovely old fashioned vibe, with some nice shops (a&f), bars and restuarants. You can get the boat from here to Statten Island.

helicopter trip?

Cocktails somewhere amazing? There are some fab bars on the top floors of some hotels, not sure which ones though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now