Talk

Advanced search

one parent, 1 child - travelling light advice

(10 Posts)
LizziePizzie Tue 18-Oct-11 12:53:21

I am planning on visiting friends in Sweden (Malmo) in January with my (will be then) 19 month DD. I am planning on taking the pram (small stroller) and I have been told that you can take it as carry on. (Is this true?) Then if I am pushing that, is it best to pack all other items in a rucksack as I am not going to be able to pull a case if I am pushing the pram!

Any suggestions/advice/tips welcome.

gregssausageroll Tue 18-Oct-11 13:57:54

You will leave the pram at the gate and it will be put in the hold. Athough you can buy strollers specifically to go in the overhead lockers.

Your case will be taken from you a check in so your hands would be free to push yor pram through security and to the gate but yes, you will need a rucksack for your handheld carryon.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 18-Oct-11 14:28:17

The stroller will be taken from you at the jetway entrance to the aircraft and put in the hold.

A suitcase if used would be taken from you at check in and placed in the hold. If you use a bag for your handheld carry on you need to be able to lift it into the overhead locker unaided.

Thzumbazombiewitch Tue 18-Oct-11 14:32:11

You can choose on some airlines whether the pram gets checked in or whether it is taken from you at the Gate. Either way, it will be taken away and put in the hold, the exception being (IME) if you are travelling on a Boeing 777, which has a luggage area on the passenger deck for things like umbrella-fold pushchairs.

Suitcase will get checked in; you can take your hand baggage with you of course, and yes, I always do take a backpack, and a handbag (I'm talking long haul here though). DS also gets the same luggage allowance as I do now he needs a seat - but even without a seat, your baby will have a cabin luggage allowance.

Thzumbazombiewitch Tue 18-Oct-11 14:34:28

Another very important point - if you do decide/ are allowed to take your stroller through to the gate, it will need to go through the x-ray machine - so your DD will have to get out of it, and it be folded up so it goes through on the conveyor belt. Loading it up with stuff is therefore Not An Option (well not a sensible one anyway).

LizziePizzie Tue 18-Oct-11 16:24:46

Thank you for all your comments. I should say that it will be EasyJet - does that make a difference? Will I pay extra? Does a 19 month need a seperate seat?

(I do know I could look it up but I am at work and not able to check out EasyJet's small print!)

gregssausageroll Tue 18-Oct-11 18:22:39

At 19 months, if you can afford it I'd book a seat for her.

Thzumbazombiewitch Wed 19-Oct-11 00:16:49

Um, is easyjet one of those that makes you pay for everything extra? I think it might be so yes, it will probably make a difference.

How long is the flight to Sweden? If it's more than about 3 hours, I'd also consider the extra seat - but not if it's less. Children under 2 can travel on your lap, but if they are over 2 they must have their own seat.

hidinginthecupboard Wed 19-Oct-11 00:35:26

I can't remember what Easyjets policy is but whenever I have flown with an under 2 they have not been entitled to hand baggage allowance (assume different if you book a seat) I have a big squashy bag I use as hand luggage and shove the change bag and DC's little fabric backpacks into it when I go through to the plane. If flying budget airline then you need to be able to get evrything into it and not exceed the measurements as you might get picked up on it (we did on Ryanair flying back from Stockholm a while back) this won't be so much of an issue if you are checking in a case of course (I am madam skinflint and try to get by with hand luggage only!)

In DD and DS's bags I take crayons, a notebook, couple of cars, book, fave cuddly toy and a small new toy as a surprise. I also get them each a cbeebies magazine or similar at the airport - the free plastic toys/tat on the front alone occupied them for much of the flight out last time. And snacks, pack snacks!

Thzumbazombiewitch Wed 19-Oct-11 01:25:24

it's probably different for longhaul - we did get a bag allowance for the baby, and as soon as he was over 2 he got a full baggage allowance, same as an adult (because of paying for a seat). But then I'm also talking about BA/Qantas/Cathay Pacific/Singapore Air, not the budget airlines (don't think any of them do long haul, do they?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now