Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for flying with an 18 month old?

(8 Posts)
ThePetiteMummy Wed 12-Oct-11 15:39:31

Apologies if this has been done before, but we're taking dd on a plane for the first time in a couple of weeks, and wondered if any of you seasoned travellers have any magic tips for entertaining a toddler on a 4 hour flight? We'll be flying in the afternoon, so highly unlikely she'll sleep!

Any tips gratefully received!

SootySweepandSue Wed 12-Oct-11 15:43:43

Bring a bag of new toys but don't give them out all at once. Small books are good, as are iPhone apps if you have one (ladybird books do them and teletubbies have one too).

GHAHSTLYGHOULYpants Wed 12-Oct-11 16:01:10

An Usbourne Sticker book was a god send
Snacks that they love
Hopefully you will meet a bigger gilr on the plane who will be happy to play with your DD. That happened to us, and was so good!

ThePetiteMummy Wed 12-Oct-11 17:03:46

Thanks for the replies!

Sooty, she loves the iPhone, and dh's iPad, but the trouble is, she keeps pressing the home button, thereby closing whatever great app we've shown her! Didn't know about the Ladybird one though, will look that up.

A sticker book is a great idea Ghouly! Let's hope for other children near us on the plane! A bag of raisins generally keeps her amused for a bit, so will be sure to pack those!

hayleysd Wed 12-Oct-11 17:06:27

There's a fab app called sound touch lite that's animal and transport sounds, I'm a Childminder and all the kids love it.

mosschops30 Wed 12-Oct-11 17:14:51

Be prepared for the worst.
Ds2 was fine going to majorca this summer but he screamed non stop all the way home, despite feeding him, giving him the ipod, walking him up and down the plane,nothing worked.

Just had to grin and bear it and smile apologetically at other passengers

LowLevelWhingeing Wed 12-Oct-11 17:18:39

I'd agree with mosschops unfortunately, having had a couple of horrendous flights with 18 month old (screaming/vomiting/diarrhoea). Anything better than that is a bonus! smile

Also, don't take toys with little bits as you'll spend the flight picking them up off the floor.

ThePetiteMummy Wed 12-Oct-11 17:56:05

Thanks Hayley, that sounds great.

Oh god Mosschops, that's my greatest fear! I occasionally take her up to London on the train, only 50 mins each way, & I really struggle to keep her quiet on the journey home! They just want to run around at that age don't they! Is it illegal to drug them?!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now