Talk

Advanced search

How much is normal for a deposit?

(4 Posts)
flybynight Mon 10-Oct-11 20:05:20

I'm researching next year's holiday much earlier than I usually do, and the place I really fancy (Villas Martinhal in Portugal) seems to take a minimum 50% deposit. That seems a bit much too me - I'd have to wait until after Christmas for that kind of wedge. And yet, this makes me itchy becauseI really want to stay there. I don't want to miss out!

The last place we stayed, a summer let in Chamonix, was a 20% deposit, which seemed much more do-able. Is 50% the norm? Have I just been lucky up until now?

bitofabelly Tue 11-Oct-11 10:07:03

I would think 20 or 25% wold be fair....50 would be a lot to loose if something went wrong. Can you contact anyone who stayed there, say like someone who posted a review on tripadvisor or something? O is it worth sayong to the owners that all ou have now is 20%

flybynight Wed 12-Oct-11 08:55:17

That makes sense, bitofabelly. Thank you!

MOSagain Wed 12-Oct-11 17:58:52

If that is just for the hire of the villa that sounds a bit steep. I rent out a holiday villa and charge a deposit of 100 pounds per week.
If it is a holiday package they do charge more. We have recently booked a holiday for Easter and had to pay around 50% of that at the time of booking which included the flights as apparently by doing so it guaranteed them at that price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now