Talk

Advanced search

New ruling forcing ALL Gites owners in France to accept animals in their houses.

(10 Posts)
Nansrus Thu 06-Oct-11 16:48:55

We visit France 3 times a year . In February this year a ruling by the French Judiciary has ruled that every gite owner has to accept pets in their gites.I am so annoyed as it wasn't as if animals were banned.As there were always at least 60% accepted dogs anyway. So that we always knew which gites don't ever have dogs in. My husband suffers from animal hair- related allergies.
It seems once again an erosion of people's human rights for no particular purpose, other than to wind people up!

Another thing is that french people do not usually clear up after their animals.

ExitPursuedByaBear Thu 06-Oct-11 16:51:38

Really - how bizarre? My SiL is very allergic to dog hair so this would rule her out of every renting a gite.

frenchfancy Thu 06-Oct-11 19:09:25

Just because it is the law doesn't mean every gite owner will follow it. There are lots of French laws that everyone ignores, that is why the French don't have a problem with the EU, the laws get made, then everyone ignores the stupid ones and gets on with their lives.

said Thu 06-Oct-11 19:15:05

When people stop renting stinky gites, they'll soon ignore teh ruling

Nansrus Thu 06-Oct-11 19:35:16

"french fancy" I know what you mean, but they seem to be enforcing this one ! As Gites-de-france have had to get their lawyers working on this one to find ways around it. Like charging 30 euros a day for an animal.

Apparently the stupid law was bought to court by a consumer organisation and passed by the judges as they were full up with cheap french red wine. Well that's what I think.

jenpetronus Thu 06-Oct-11 21:11:46

But as a gite owner myself the rule has always been "Love to accept animals (the rule is any domestic animal, not just dogs) but actually, we're full those weeks...ahh you want to come the first week of Feb -OK we charge a €5000 cleaning charge if you want to bring your animal" We have never had too many takers. Also, we have never advertised with Gites-de-France as I disagree with many of their policies - such as insisting you keep July & August free for their potential customers. hmm

Nansrus Fri 07-Oct-11 08:54:39

jenpetronus. That is an interesting view from a gite owner. Good for you! The reason why we always use gites-de-france is they are so efficient when we book. And every single place has been so clean.

Unlike when we book places in the Uk, the admin is shambolic and the standard of cleaning not good.

jenpetronus Fri 07-Oct-11 09:00:38

I think there is absolutly no excuse for shambolic admin & dirty properties. Places like that deserve to go out of business! Sorry if that sounds blunt, but it gives everyone a bad name.
Although, we don't have July & August free for G-de-F as we've got people who've come back every year since we started 5 years ago & they book as they leave! grin

bitofabelly Tue 11-Oct-11 10:12:58

Where is your gite jenpetronus...looking for a house in vendee or poitou charentes

jenpetronus Tue 11-Oct-11 14:35:50

We are near Vannes bitofabelly so a bit far north for you - website here
Sorry, I can't think of anywhere down there off hand - maybe ask in Shorthaul if anyone has any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now