Talk

Advanced search

Weekend away with dh

(7 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 02-Oct-11 22:20:39

It's my 40th birthday in Jan and we're trying to arrange a weekend away just with dh. I just can't decide where. We'll probably go in mid-Feb and we have childcare for 2 nights, poss 3 - either Fri-Sun or Thurs-Sun.

So far we've considered Babington House or Chewton Glen in the UK. I quite like the idea of going to a European city, maybe Barcelona or Venice. BUT I'm slightly nervous about going abroad without the dc and also I HATE early morning flights!

Any suggestions?

sailorsgal Mon 03-Oct-11 10:00:38

We have stayed at both Babington and Chewton Glen. Loved both but if I had a preference it would be Babington House.

I quite like the look of The Scarlett in Cornwall and Limewood also in Hampshire. Or how about le Manoir Sais Quat which I think is in Oxfordshire.

For my 40th I went to Monte Carlo with friends. Had dinner at Chevre dor which is in Eze and absolutely stunning. Would love to stay there one day. If you don't think you would relax I would go somewhere in the UK.

sailorsgal Mon 03-Oct-11 10:04:14

Actually that should be Le Manoir Aux Quat'saisons. blush

myron Mon 03-Oct-11 18:53:05

We went to New York for DH's 40th for 3 nts - Thurs - Mon (Sun pm flight which arrives Mon am). Waldorf Astoria & advance table reservation at the River Cafe under Brooklyn Bridge. Twas fab - we still recall the meal 2 yrs later. Holbeck Ghyll in the Lake District was another memorable birthday treat - good restaurant and a spa on site.
Another home treat especially if you are a foodie : - Here for the night and the Fat Duck is a stroll away if you don't fancy classic French fare.

frankie3 Mon 03-Oct-11 21:39:58

I would love to stay at babbington house but I have heard that babbington house is full of children - if you are away on your own with dh you might not want this, or it might not bother you.

onepieceofcremeegg Mon 03-Oct-11 21:44:00

We went to London (but I hadn't been for years and never with dh) We also went with my two best friends who are a couple.

We went to the theatre, and had a couple of lovely child free meals and fizzy wine at every opportunity. It was a very chilled weekend.

I ruled out abroad/long journey because for me it is always a bit of a culture shock to go back into "mummy and daddy mode" after a gap and it is worse after a long journey/jet lag.

Aftereightsaremine Fri 07-Oct-11 08:53:24

We went to Sharrow Bay in lake district which is lovely. Didn't particularly like Chewton Glen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now