Talk

Advanced search

DP needs a break, and so do I.

(9 Posts)
Naoko Wed 28-Sep-11 16:19:37

We've had a very stressful time and DP suggested the other day that he wishes we could go on holiday. We went to Rome last September and it did both of us a world of good. Money is very tight, but I think we should be able to manage a short cheap break somewhere. I've been looking at holidays on the internet but (due to aforementioned stressful time) my brain is all over the place and I can't seem to find anything suitable. Help me, all-knowing mumsnet brain!

I'm not fussy as to country of destination. A bit of sun would be nice, but not a must. DP and I aren't hard-partying sun adoring beach people though, so I've been discounting places like the costa del sol, I just don't think I'd like it. Neither of us drive, and we both like to be able to go out and do/see something, so realistically we're probably looking at a European city break of some description. Accomodation wise, somewhere clean and comfortable to sleep for two adults. Not bothered about board level, anything from self-catering to all-in goes. Preferably not too high on the grim soviet era concrete scale (I wouldn't have thought that needed specifying but when I asked a travel agent for a week in Rome last year he told me it couldn't be done on my budget and instead I could go to Budapest for 5 days and stay in aforementioned concrete monstrosity...Needless to say I politely declined and went elsewhere). Quite flexible on dates, any time in the next two months or so could probably work.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 20:05:17

Barcelona. Easyjet flights. Stay here just off the Las Ramblas. Weather should be fabulous. There is lots to explore and a beach if you want it.

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 20:07:10

Budapest is lovely though - as is Prague. Or Wroclaw or Krakow in Poland. All definitely worth a weekend.

Naoko Wed 28-Sep-11 20:10:20

Ooh that one in Barcelona looks lovely, and the idea of sun is tempting. Thanks grin

I've always wanted to see Budapest, that's not what I had a problem with when the agent suggested it last year, it was the grimness of the hotel photos and the fact I'd asked him for a trip to Rome... Had not considered Poland, what's it like? I've heard Prague is nice but I don't think I know anyone who's been to Poland.

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 20:44:18

I have been to Prague about 6 times I think. We used to rent an apartment, but the last time we stayed in here. Very nice and walking distance to everything.

A few weeks back we went to Wroclaw for 4 days. You don't mention dc's...? It was fab - lovely huge square with lots of bars and restaurants. Nice for a relaxing wander about. We did a boat trip to the zoo and an electric car tour. I have done a couple of walking holidays in Poland in the Tatra mountains and did day trips to Krakow and the Salt Mines. It is a beautiful city - and very cheap. Budapest, I visited about 15 years ago. We stayed out of the city centre and travelled in by bus/metro. There was loads to do as I recall.

Barcelona is still my favourite though!

fivegomadindorset Wed 28-Sep-11 20:46:54

go to expedia.co.uk and have a look on there, we have done both Budapest and Venice really cheaply and not in concrete hotels from there.

Naoko Wed 28-Sep-11 22:24:28

Nope, no DCs, just me and DP. Thank you both, lots to think about! Poor DP really needs this break, he's so stressed and worn out sad

Graciescotland Wed 28-Sep-11 22:37:29

If you go to Barca check out the B-hotel, it's lovely and they have a great rooftop pool.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 28-Sep-11 22:40:54

I would recommend the Hanong Hotel in Strasbourg for a fab but not too £££ city break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now