Talk

Advanced search

I cant find a holiday for us :-( please help

(15 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 15:58:12

i dont care where it is as long as its not turkey/tunisia/cyprus/eygpt/malta or portugal.
I dont want a massive sprawling hotel complex
No chavs
Mini disco in the evenings

Thats it! Oh and needs to be up to 3k for 10/11 nights in august

Can anyone help?

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 19:41:46

Bump

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 19:55:25

Italian Riviera - close to beach, supermarkets. Pool is wonderful.Lots of lovely restaurants nearby. Chav free!

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 20:52:03

Oh wow that looks perfect, i did fancy italy but couldnt find anything to suit our needs.
Have you stayed here porto? Tell me more!

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:01:14

Do you fly into genoa?
Is it ridiculously expensive? We were looking at all inclusive options soto stay here it would have to come in fairly cheap to allow us spending money.
How old are your kuds porto?

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 21:08:53

Yes - we spent a week there once in September. Ceriale is quite small, but picturesque. Quite a few restuarants and a nice seafront/sandy beach. They have a big market once a week on the prom. There is a big waterpark there but dd was little and we didn't bother. Easy to get the bus to Loano - v. nice - and Albenga for a change of scenery. Genoa and the aquarium etc is easily doable by car/train. The apartments in the main building are more modern (as I recall) than the dependance. But it was all lovely and clean and had all the basics.

They had a childrens pool/little playground. The main pool is huge! They'd stopped the entertainment when we went (end of season), but they had indoor/outdoor play areas and everywhere we went was very child friendly. Dd was fussed over muchly! 5 mins walk to the supermarket/bakers/pizzeria. Town centre and beach a few mins further on.

We flew to Nice and got the train/taxi. Genoa is a bit nearer I think. We didn't NEED a car, but might be handy if you wanted to explore a bit more. We basically spent a week by the pool, with a couple of day trips out, and strolling into town for food/drinks of an evening. I guess August would be a bit busier - more stuff going on. It was very Italian - no English or fried breakfasts to be seen.

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:18:18

I dont want to go anywhere, would be quite happy sitting by the pool and eating dinner out in the evenings.
Im not sure if it would be too different for dh, we are used to the whole thomson family resort thing, but this year was a step too far!
It really looks lovely and ive checked the flights which are dirt cheap. Have sent a request to the hotel for prices, thank you so much smile
if you can give me anymore info about the town or apartments that would be great

Thefoxsbrush Wed 28-Sep-11 21:20:02

Chk out thomson al fresco. Fan non-chavvy resorts but still plenty of amenities.

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 21:31:52

Eating out wasn't pricey as I remember. Italian restaurants tend to do the anti-pasta, pasta, meat and fish, desert thing. The italians eat the lot (how, I don't know) but normally I would have a starter and a plate of pasta, or main course/desert. They were not precious if you just wanted one course. The house wine was always most reasonable grin. The food in Liguria is generally lovely! Lots of seafood. They will always do something cheap and simple for dcs. We did eat out most nights, but also went out for a drink on the seafront, collected pizza and put dd to bed and sat on the balcony.

The residence did breakfast but we walked up to the bakers for bread/ciabbatta/pizza slices which did us til dinner. We had a kitchenette, and we did buy fresh pasta/sauce in a deli in Loano and ate in once. I remember much limocello!

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 21:47:41

There is lots of info and piccies on the Oliveto website. It is a nice (smallish) Italian seaside town where, I guess, most people sunbathe all day and stuff themselves/stroll on the prom by night. We had a lovely week. The apartments were not of "luxury" standard, but the public areas are all quite modern. It was all spotlessly clean. We had a coffee maker and all the plates and cups needed for breakfast/cooking etc. Staff were friendly and helpful.

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:49:01

Mmm limoncello, we had that in garda, was a blurry night grin
what is liguria? (or where?)

Is it very quirky?

foxbrush we have friends who always do thomson al fresco but they dont mibd cooking every night. I dont like to cook on holiday and most of the parks seem to be a drive away from the nearest town

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:50:17

Do you thik it will be suitable for ds1&2 aged 2 and 7

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:50:57

Oh and sorry for asking a million questions smile

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 22:06:33

Liguria is the region in Italy. Stretches from the French border down to Tuscany, but mostly on the coast. Is it quirky? No - but very Italian. Get a phrase book and live la Bella Vita! grin

Depends on what your ds's like doing. Swimming, beach all day. Then yes. Dd was a baby when we went. She is 7 now. I would take her. I guess a lot of the "animation" would be in Italian, but my experience is that small children just PLAY together. DD loves a mini disco of an evening.

It was totally NOT like an all-inclusive experience. Personally, strolling out of an evening and checking menus etc is part of the holiday experience for us. Even if we end up with a takeway. I HATE the repetitive buffet thing you get with AI.

Last year we went to Parc Albatros in Tuscany with Canvas. Twas nice - but hot. Dd went to the Kids Club and had fun. On the way home though, we stopped at Lake Como at small hotel with pool. Dd played with the Italian owner's kids. That was her favourite bit.

mosschops30 Wed 28-Sep-11 22:29:11

Yes i agree, children just enjoy playing with each other.
Ds1 has no interest in kids clubs, he likes to be in the pool all day long. But loves a mini disco after dinner!
Weve only done all inclusive once but it was 5* and just the two of us for a week so was fine. Not sure dh woukd cope with 2 weeks of it, he likes going out and choosing different places to eat.

Thans for all your help, im really liking this idea, hopefully they will get back to me with a price thats good for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now