Talk

Advanced search

Travel insurance for Brazil - any recommendation?

(7 Posts)
schroedingersdodo Wed 28-Sep-11 09:08:29

we're going to Brazil to visit relatives for one month and DS, who is 17mo doesn't have private healthcare. We don't want to rely on the public health system (we used to pay for private healthcare when we lived there), so decided to get insurance.

However, I've never bought travel insurance in my life (we usually travel to Europe so we use the public system when necessary), and have no idea which ones are good.

Could any one help me please?

Is it cheaper to insure my husband and DS or only DS (I still have private healthcare, long story...)?

Thanks!

jkklpu Sat 01-Oct-11 22:34:49

Go to a comparison site like comparethemarket and type in your requirements. You should make sure that you get very high medical cover, eg for up to GBP5 million, including repatriation/evacuation flights, just in case. Not sure how much healthcare costs in Brazil but private is likely to be expensive as the prices for everything are going up there. If you're planning to travel outside Europe again in the next 12 months, get an all-family global policy. It's unlikely to cost that much. Even if you have private healthcare in Brazil, it's unlikely to cover repatriation/evacuation, which you might want if you were to have an accident during your trip (touching wood it wouldn't happen, of course). It's incredible how quickly medical costs can accumulate overseas and the last thing you'd want is to have to be bailed out by family and friends. And you can use the same insurance policy to cover flight cancellations/unforeseen changes of plan, including on account of someone being ill.

You should also buy insurance when travelling to Europe as the EHIC-equivalent cover wouldn't include repatriation or other costs arising from changes of plan following health issues. And sometimes you have to pay up-front and get reimbursement, so it can be expensive too.

jkklpu Sat 01-Oct-11 22:35:25

PS Don't forget any vaccinations you/your ds might need before you go. And have a great time.

schroedingersdodo Mon 03-Oct-11 16:04:16

Thanks, jkkklpu! We came over on Saturday, so I had to be quick. I bought the Natwest family insurance in the end, because it was the easiest option.

And I had no idea I'd use it so soon... Yesterday we took DS to hospital with a bad tummy bug. He had some medication and is fine now, but anyway it's good to know we'll be reimbursed for what we've paid.

And thanks for explaining me about the insurance, it was never very clear to me why I needed insurance for Europe. Now I got it smile

jkklpu Mon 03-Oct-11 21:25:26

Great stuff - hope your DS will be on the mend soon and you enjoy the rest of your trip. Best wishes.

jkklpu Mon 03-Oct-11 21:26:28

PS For Europe, too, lots of people forget that for skiing/other high-risk activities they need to make sure their policies cover them. Bungee-jumping and things also push up premiums but it may be a while before you have to worry about your kids doing those ... grin]

schroedingersdodo Tue 04-Oct-11 14:47:37

Thanks, jkklpu. DS is fine now, not eating much, but behaving like a little hurricane as normal.
And hopefully he won't do any bungee jump for quite a few years, it I can prevent him smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now