Talk

Advanced search

My husband wants to move to Singapore :(

(6 Posts)
Allboxedin Wed 28-Sep-11 07:45:53

He works as a programmer and says all the jobs in his sector are in London, New York or Singapore. He is fed up of London so keeps on about moving to Singapore.
TBH I am getting pretty fed up and have tried to make him see that it won't be eay to just up and go. We have one dd of 2 years and I am due again in 3 weeks.
The problem is that he never seems to settle and I just don't think he will there either. He has never been there and knows nothing about it.

I know it sounds abit silly but my husband is actually black and we have mixed race children, One of my main concerns is how they would be accepted over there.

Before I met DH I lived and worked in Korea for 3 years and so I have a feel of Asian life/work/culture ethics, although it's not Singapore and I have not been specifically there, it worries me it could be similar in many ways.
I used to travel a lot with my work so that doesn't bother me but then I was single. We are about to have our second now and it's a whole different story.

I honestly think he should go over there by himself for a few weeks to get a feel of things and then make a decision but he thinks we can all just up and leave and it will all be hunky dory - HELP!!

So sorry for the long rant. Any perspective would be helpful.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 28-Sep-11 09:45:01

Try posting this in the living overseas area. I know there are a number of MNers who live there.
Would he be able to get a job? would the job include housing, school and medical insurances and allowances? Would you all be able to get visas?
My main concern would be schooling for my DD. We did consider Singapore, DH is a teacher and was offered the headship of a school. As it wasn't 'the best' (in his opinion) he declined. He was adamant that our DD wouldn't go there.
Good luck with whateer you decide.

Allboxedin Wed 28-Sep-11 16:48:24

Thanks rips, yes it would be for his work as they have posts out there. He says he wouldn't get paid housing or travel though so not much benefit there. Good point about the visas, We all have British passports so shouldn't b too much of a hassle but something to think about.

acatcalledbob Wed 28-Sep-11 16:57:47

I've lived in Singapore for 3.5 years and love it here. I have a good friend whose husband is black, obviously their children are mixed race - they've never had a problem fitting in. Singapore is a huge melting pot of cultures so you and your family would be very well accepted here, much more so than in North Asian cultures such as Korea or Japan. It tends to be the blond, blue-eyed kids that get stared at or have their photos taken by strangers much more than anyone else!

Visas wouldn't be an issue if your DH is working here but Singapore can be hugely expensive to live. The best way to get here is to be recruited in the UK for a job in Singapore so that you are on an expat or international package (including rent, schooling, healthcare, flights home etc). It can be difficult to get work here as in order to get a work visa, your DH's employer would have to prove that the role cannot be filled by a Singaporean - there are unemployed Singaporean programmers here.

Tell him to get a job offer and then you all need to come here for a look-see - that's what most expats do. Then you can make a decision as a family.

Allboxedin Wed 28-Sep-11 18:21:09

Thanks acat - thats good info. Apparently his workplace keep asking if people are willing to go over to their offices over there. They are a fairly big financial recruitment agency so I imagine they have done it several times before or maybe its just in the pipline kind of thing for the company so they can put him on their list of 'maybes'.
Interesting what you say about the differences in cultures though and them being more open minded.

DoubleMum Fri 30-Sep-11 19:56:17

I know mixed race families there too, not a problem IMO. I really like Singapore, but it is small and expensive, and a lot more fun if you are well-paid enough to be able to travel around Asia a bit. The international schools are good. The food is fantastic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now