Talk

Advanced search

Love CenterParcs but is there is a cheaper alternative?

(19 Posts)
bellatrixrocks Tue 27-Sep-11 12:29:23

Just got back from Centerparcs Elveden and loved loved loved it!!!

It was perfect! My parents, dh and dd (almost 2) all had a fab time

but... it is soooo expensive in the school hols

I'm a teacher so can't get time off in term time

can anyone recommend a lovely holiday for easter or summer next year for a lively 2 year old?

I'm thinking haven or butlins - or the european equivalent to centerparcs

rookiemater Tue 27-Sep-11 21:03:44

Which things did you enjoy about it? Was it the swimming pool and activities or was it the forest setting?

If its the countryside you like then could recommend these lodges www.forestholidays.co.uk/cabins.aspx lovely surroundings and walks and outdoor activities no pool though.

I have been Haven and I couldn't honestly recommend it, caravans were nice but loads of gambling machines everywhere, play areas not well tended, blaring music all the while whilst we were in the pool.

I like these caravan parks http www.slholidays.co.uk because we love the lake district , or if you want to go abroad www.lepavillondestagnan.com/Engels/index_e.html we took DS here when he was about 3 and he loved it outdoor pool, twice weekly pony rides, outdoor play area and lovely french food.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 27-Sep-11 21:06:13

bella I am in the Midlands and our Easter holiday is "late" compared to other areas so we got a good deal at CP for next Easter. Have a try with all your holiday dates i.e. put them on the CP website in case you strike lucky as well?

Otherwise I haven't got any recommendations, other than Haven and Pontins and Butlins are NOT the same. Don't go to any of those thinking they might be. (that's not a criticism of them, just they are not an alternative to CP imo)

bellatrixrocks Tue 27-Sep-11 21:14:15

Thanks rookie & onepiece!

We loved being in the forest! Ducks, rabbits, squirrels and deer all came right up to french windows grin

the pool was fab too, lovely and warm but very crowded

I'll check out those websites and check my holiday dates x

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 27-Sep-11 21:16:11

We love Elveden too.

CP just has so much foresty outdoor space compared to say Haven. Also we like the fact that CP doesn't have "entertainment" in the evenings such as we have experienced at some of the other "parks".

40notTrendy Tue 27-Sep-11 21:18:43

Darwin Forest near Matlock was nice. Will prob be on forestlodge link!

SixtyFootDoll Tue 27-Sep-11 21:24:05

www.bluestonewales.com/ is supposed tb cheaper than CP and really pretty.

SpringHeeledJack Tue 27-Sep-11 21:28:17

I like Dutch cp

they don't have anything like the same facilities as UK ones, but are about half the price

I find the UK ones are more about staying in the park, and the Dutch ones are more a place to flop in the evening after you've been out of the park all day

SpringHeeledJack Tue 27-Sep-11 21:28:48

...and they have red squirrels

squeeeeeeeee!

MoreBeta Tue 27-Sep-11 21:33:25

You can go on a family active holiday to PGL. They are more basic in accomodation than a CentreParcs but all inclusive, cheaper and the activities same or better.

Portofino Wed 28-Sep-11 10:20:32

For a foreign version of CP - look at www.landal.com. We've been to Sonnenberg and Hoog Vaals and will certainly try some more. Much cheaper than CP but with good facilities and even the basic accommodation is of a high standard.

SpringHeeledJack Wed 28-Sep-11 10:24:17

ooh yes to Landals- the accomodation is much nicer than CP, ime

but watch out for the extras when you book- there's all sorts added on to the price you see on screen, inc sheet hire etc. CP do the same, but not so much

oh, and is best to wait as late as poss to book, as prices can come down by lots smile

MegBusset Wed 28-Sep-11 14:21:59

We went to Sandy Balls (don't laugh) this year and had a great time, not as activity-packed as CP but (imo) much more relaxed and all the forest you could wish for smile

Collision Wed 28-Sep-11 22:41:25

marking my place

KJacks Wed 05-Oct-11 09:38:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

KJacks Wed 05-Oct-11 09:39:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Maya2009 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:03:27

Here's a post with loads of alternatives to Center Parcs fiveadventurers.com/Home/alternatives-to-center-parcs/

DarlingCoffee Sun 05-Feb-17 16:15:57

Eurocamp? Or I believe Center Parcs in Europe is cheaper?

OublietteBravo Sun 05-Feb-17 16:21:32

Definitely worth having a look at the European Center Parcs sites. We've been to ones in Netherlands and Belgium during school holidays and found them significantly cheaper than the UK.

Also worth having a look at Efteling Bosrijk (Nethetlands) and Lalandia (Denmark). Remember that not all European countries have the same summer holidays as the UK (e.g. Danish kids go back to school in mid-August).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now