Talk

Advanced search

Travel with tiny baby

(5 Posts)
Claxonia Fri 23-Sep-11 11:24:12

Hi,

I am 34.5 weeks pregnant with 1st baby and my husband and I have been discussing what we should do at Christmas. We were planning to stay at home but we moved abroad in Febuary and I have been really homesick so have been thinking I'd like to go to my parents in the UK. Husband's parents are a couple of hours drive away but we can't face the idea of going there as there is nowhere comfortable for us to stay with the baby and his parents are in the middle of getting divorced so it would be complicated. So I would be grateful for advice on:

1. Whether I will l actually care about where we spend Christmas when the baby is here or will I be so wrapped up in trying to cope that everything else will seem irrelevent?

2. Is travelling with such a young baby safe/reasonable?

3. Would plane, train or car be easier? Plane means taxi to airport, 1.5 hours in the air, being picked up by car in UK. Train means taxi to station, 2.5 hours in train to UK, 1.5 hours train from London to parents, being picked up by car from station. Car would be 3+hours drive to coast, 1.5 hours on Ferry or 30 mins on Eurotunnel, 4 hours drive to my parents.

Hope someone can help, thank you in advance.

Runoutofideas Fri 23-Sep-11 13:05:39

Is there any way your family could come to you? I really wanted to be at home for Christmas when mine were tiny. Having said that it is handy to have family around for help and support. If they can't come to you then I would go with the flying option as it seems to be quickest. Tiny babies are pretty portable and you can take your car seat on the plane, then you have it for the car at the other end too. You can feed on a flight or in an airport, or on the train, whereas you'd have to keep stopping if you were in the car. You'd have to get a passport for the baby pretty speedily but apart from that I think you'd be fine to go.

Claxonia Fri 23-Sep-11 13:12:42

Thanks, my family would come to us if we asked them to but I am really missing the UK so wanted to go there. Also don't really like the idea of staying in our flat in the city for Christmas - my parents live in the countryside and I've always loved spending Christmas there even since I've been married and had my own place to live.

Runoutofideas Fri 23-Sep-11 13:17:45

In that case I'd definitely go. You won't know how you feel really until the baby is born, but as long as everything is straightforward then I can see no reason why you shouldn't travel. You'll want to remember your baby's first Christmas so if you are where you want to be then I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. Also will be much easier if your mum is doing all the cooking, and letting you have a lie in occasionally!

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 24-Sep-11 08:55:45

I would go. I'd use any of your options to travel too. I would probably choose the times (and possibly cost) which was the most convenient.
I think I would go for a route that used the car though, you will be surprised at how much stuff you need, or at least think you need for a baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now