Talk

Advanced search

I'm not forgetting anything, am I?

(11 Posts)
LollipopViolet Thu 22-Sep-11 17:35:41

Right, flying to Cyprus on the 12th of next month with a friend (both 21, if that makes any difference). I'm starting to mentally check things off my list.

I've booked flights and baggage allowance, and travel insurance.
I've told Easyjet about my eyesight
I've got my EHIC card, as has friend
I've sorted a transfer to our apartment in Cyprus and we're sorting the one to Manchester tomorrow.
I've got a rough idea of what I'm taking.

I need to:
Change money to Euros
Check us in online (although Manchester has no fast bag drop so we have to queue up again anyway...)
Pack (obviously)

Am I forgetting some major elephant in the room? Also does anyone know if I'll be allowed to use a DSi and/or Kindle in flight?

As you can see by how early I'm thinking about this, I like to be prepared!

Aftereightsaremine Thu 22-Sep-11 18:06:42

Obvious - but don't forget your passport.

You can use kindle etc on flights once in air & can't use during take off & landing.

Have a great time.

LollipopViolet Thu 22-Sep-11 18:08:38

Ah yes, passport. I know where it is, and I've got one of those fancy document holder things to keep everything together.

Thanks for the advice on the electronic stuff, can never remember what's OK and what's not smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 22-Sep-11 19:04:41

Glad to read that you have arranged travel insurance for your trip to Cyprus; EHIC card is limited so you should not reply on that alone.

If you plan on using a credit card whilst on holiday tell the credit card company of your travel plans beforehand. This prevents having a "stop" marker placed on your cards.

Pack all liquid stuff or gels in your suitcase; the 100 ml rule for liquids taken through security in hand luggage still very much applies.

If you do take a mobile phone speak to your mobile phone company before travelling.

You can use both a Kindle and DSi inflight but not prior to take off or landing.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Fri 23-Sep-11 09:55:03

ATMs can be used to withdraw money so you don't need to change cash to euros. There is generally a charge though.
Apart from that, looks like you've got it covered.
If you are planning to hire a car (or motor bikes but please don't do the bikes) take your driving licence.

SheepAreSuper Fri 23-Sep-11 10:46:07

Oh how I long for a sunshiny holiday envy

Learned the hard way on a few things myself so you may want to consider the below.

Pack the bare essentials into your hand luggage (top and shorts, spare knickers, swimwear and flip flops along with some toiletries & sunlotion) that way, if your luggage ends up in a different airport to you then you still enjoy yourself until you're reunited.

Make photocopies of your passport. Take a copy with you (kept separate to you passport) and leave a copy with family or a friend. Makes life a tad easier should anything happen to the original.

Have a fab time smile

Nefret Fri 23-Sep-11 10:51:53

Don't forget travel insurance!

Don't pack any toilettries or sun lotion in your hand luggage as it will be confiscated at security, you aren't allowed nay liquids over 100ml in hand luggage.

Have a great holiday !!

wellwisher Fri 23-Sep-11 10:55:02

You'll need a travel plug adaptor for phone charger etc, but you can buy one at the airport. Check before you go how much it costs to use your phone abroad... Kindle on plane is fine if you turn off the internet connection, but you should keep that turned off anyway to conserve battery.

MirandaWest Fri 23-Sep-11 11:02:06

I've never told an airline about my eyesight but I haven't flown for a couple of years so maybe things have changed grin

SheepAreSuper Fri 23-Sep-11 11:25:40

Good point Nefret.
I always buy my toiletries and sunlotion in the airport after security. Saves on weight and no restrictions. smile

LollipopViolet Sat 24-Sep-11 15:59:18

Miranda, there's a lot of scary sounding things on the Easyjet website about they can refuse travel if not informed, etc, it's not THAT bad as I'm able to do trains etc independently and am going with a mate, but thought better safe than sorry!

VERY good idea about passport photocopies, and don't worry, neither of us drive so no bikes or cars to worry about!

Thanks for the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now