Talk

Advanced search

Would you rather have 2 wks abroad or 1 wk in UK and 1 abroad?

(17 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:43:41

just thinking bout next years holidays. It wont make much difference money wise but we wait all year for our summer family holiday that if its not perfect then its a bit of a let down. This year i could quite happily have come home after a week.

I think that if me and dh have our week away at end of january, then a week in a cottage in northumberland at easter, followed by a week somehere nice and warm in august its better than one week away in january then waiting until august for another break.

Opinions please smile

40notTrendy Wed 21-Sep-11 20:45:51

1 of each. Would do that if we could afford it next year!

GnomeDePlume Wed 21-Sep-11 23:20:41

Two weeks abroad for me. I would rather pull out my own finger nails one by one than ever holiday in the UK again.

Brecon & Abergaveny Canal, Caledonian Canal, Angelsy, Norfolk Broads I hate you all! Sorry - I had childhood holidays ruined by damp accomodation and crap weather. Now that everywhere in Britain looks the same why holiday here? I really did hate my childhood holidays, can you tell?

mosschops30 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:24:53

grin gnomedeplume i can tell! I am looking at 7 days in northumberland which is an area i love. The cottage is £900 per week so deffo not shit damp accommodation.

40nottrendy have you done it before? Dh is worried about missing out on his 2 weeks in the sun.

GnomeDePlume Thu 22-Sep-11 20:49:43

We did boating holidays (hence the canals). The dampness was compulsory.

bilblio Thu 22-Sep-11 21:05:53

We only ever holiday in the UK, can't afford abroad, but I'd far rather have 2 shorter holidays than one longer one.
We usually have 1 week if we can afford it, then a few weekends.

mumblechum1 Thu 22-Sep-11 21:06:58

2 weeks aboad. Weather far too unpredictable in the UK, and you need a minimum of two weeks to properly unwind, imo

mosschops30 Thu 22-Sep-11 21:26:40

Hmm we normally do 2 weeks but this year i felt it was too long. And january to august is a long time without a break to look forward to.
Dh fancies a conpromise of short break in northumberland (4nights) and then 10 or 11 nights abroad in summer, which sounds good to me

GnomeDePlume Thu 22-Sep-11 22:35:50

Thinking about it from a work perspective:

1 week off means that all those minor problems before you went are crisis by the time you get back
2 weeks off means that the crises have either been averted or have occured already by the time you get back
3 weeks off means that people start to solve their own problems so you come back to a happily buzzing office
4 weeks off means that they have started to solve each others' problems and the contents of your desk are now in a box.

Portofino Fri 23-Sep-11 08:51:32

I think a week for a main holiday is never enough. By the time you've unpacked and settled in, it's time to start thinking about going home again. I always do 3 weeks in the summer, and take less time off during the year. We feel like we get a "proper" break.

TrillianAstra Fri 23-Sep-11 09:11:45

I would rather have 2 separate holidays. Holidays longer than 10 days I get a bit bored unless we are moving around.

If the budget stretches I'd rather they were both abroad. But I'd rather have one abroad and one in the UK than two weeks in the same place all at once.

(no kids so maybe that affects my decision)

Gnome I love your list smile

40notTrendy Fri 23-Sep-11 10:51:51

Yes, week in Scotland, with dry, sometimes warm weather, 10 days in Malta (coz we stayed for free for 5 of them). Was good, as you had another holidayto look forward to. Although I have to admit the 10 days was perfect. 10 days for each would be dreamy!

ENormaSnob Fri 23-Sep-11 14:07:24

I prefer 2 weeks abroad plus a few weekends away.

The weather in England is usually shit so that puts me off holidaying here. Plus I think I would be bored, what do you do for 7 days in the rain?

myron Fri 23-Sep-11 15:26:27

Primary DC here so shorthaul - 2 separate weeks at Easter & Whitsun. Only do more than 2 weeks if going longhaul which seems to be every few years to visit family in the States.

minipen Fri 23-Sep-11 15:28:58

We do 9 or 10 nights as main holiday then shorter UK breaks, Works well for us

mosschops30 Fri 23-Sep-11 22:16:06

Have decided to do the 3 separate breaks yay smile

Am more excited about my UK holiday than the main family one in the summer. I am hoping we can be a 1950s family for a week, am banning iphones/ipads/ds etc etc grin

SecretSquirrels Sat 24-Sep-11 16:05:55

This year we took two one week holidays abroad, plus a long weekend in the UK. A week at Easter and a week in August.
Overall it cost only marginally more than two weeks in August. I really , really loved going abroad at Easter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now