Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How early did you travel with your baby?

(12 Posts)
roundtable Tue 13-Sep-11 18:21:42

Found out that my DH will most likely have to go to Dubai for work, possibly for up to three weeks at the end of October. I am currently 39+3 weeks pregnant so when he goes our baby will still be quite young.

I'm debating whether or not to go with him but wondered if anyone had any experience of travelling with a young baby and staying in a hotel. Is it practical so soon after birth? (He would be between 4 and 6 weeks old) Am I deluding myself and should I just stay at home? I would rather go with him and he would rather I came with him too.

What do you think? Any advice would be great.

CurlyCasper Tue 13-Sep-11 18:26:28

IME, the younger they are, the easier it is. They don't know the difference between home and a hotel, sleep loads and are generally happy as long as they have you. When my daughter was 10 weeks we took a road trip to all corners of Britain and it was really easy. As she's got older, it has become more difficult, as it's harder to keep her amused. And she was a right wriggler and very grumpy when we flew abroad with her at 12months. i'd rather have taken a sleeping newborn!

roundtable Tue 13-Sep-11 18:34:57

That's what I was reasoning with myself, thank you Curly. Plus it's sunny in Dubai and no "we just happened to be in the area and thought we'd drop in and see you" (everyday then not leave for hours as is their past form, so I expect it'll get worse one the baby is born!) visitors!

I'm definately being persuaded...

CurlyCasper Tue 13-Sep-11 18:42:01

I would definitely go if I were you. just bear in mind how much time you'll spend keeping baby out of the sun, as I discovered on holiday. Shade a babe pram covers are good. good luck with all you've got to come!

Blu Tue 13-Sep-11 18:45:07

If you bf it is very easy to travel with an infant.
My only wories about Dubai would be the heat - where will you be while your DH is working? Will you need to spend long hours in an air conditioned hotel room?

roundtable Tue 13-Sep-11 18:56:18

I would stay in an air conditioned room/foyer for the hottest part of the day, which I would do anyway, I'm not a fan of sitting in the sun roasting myself. I would probably venture out to pool or places later or early. A lot of hotels in Dubai to shuttles to malls which are air conditioned too. I'm trying to persuade DH to book a hotel near the beach with more to do during the day, rather than by the airport where he'll be working.

Would there be a problem regarding injections and would I need to take a car seat for taxi travel?

Also does anyone know of a hotel which isn't dry (serves alcohol) and nearish the beach and the mall?

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 14-Sep-11 09:28:06

My DD was born in the country next door (Oman), she first flew to the Uk when she was around four weeks old.
I would check with your GP re the vax. DD was done at birth for measles, TB, Hep A or B (can't remember) and given polio.
With regard to the car seat, she should be in a carry by the handle buckety shaped one I think, I would def take it.
Hotels, hopefully someone who lives there can advise. From what I remember, larger hotels will have a bar, although avoid going during Ramadhan which I think has finished.
Very envious. I fancy some sun.

SenoritaViva Wed 14-Sep-11 09:33:55

I flew with DD when she was 4 weeks old as we lived abroad and I wanted to spend 6 weeks of my maternity leave (of which there was only 4 months) with my family in the UK. It was a 12 hour flight so quite long haul.

Frankly it was fine, although agreed check on the vaccinations and make sure you've got a decent hotel (make sure there's a sofa/arm chair for you to relax in your room rather than just the bed), TV etc. so that you would be happy spending a morning in your room if that's what you want.

Also remember when landing/taking off that they are sucking something (dummy/bottle/breast) so that their ears balance and don't get sore.

roundtable Wed 14-Sep-11 09:48:44

Thanks for all the advice. The more I think about it more I hope he does go now, especially when I look at the weather forecast!

I have a maxi cossi pebble or pearl car seat, I can't remember which is the first stage. Would I be better taking that with the chassis of the buggy rather than taking the pram part, or both? It could potentially be for 3 weeks. I was thinking I would only need a basic amount of nappies etc as the malls are home from home there really in expat areas.

I will check with my gp re injections. Thanks again, I want to have all my facts straight before booking anything and telling people as I know in laws will probably have quite a negative reaction.

Any tips about areas/hotels would be great smile

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 14-Sep-11 09:51:51

I would repost in the living overseas area. I know there are a couple of Dubai MNers on there.

roundtable Wed 14-Sep-11 10:00:17

Thank you, I'll do that when I'm on the computer later smile

Nefret Wed 14-Sep-11 11:00:26

I first took my baby out to Turkey when she was 8 weeks and it was fine, they are pretty easy at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now