Talk

Advanced search

Which pushchair for taking on plane/holiday?

(11 Posts)
Esme11 Sat 10-Sep-11 20:36:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

osd Sat 10-Sep-11 20:46:16

Tesco cheap one, then it is pretty disposable. But it depends what you do on hols and how long your going for.

Esme11 Sat 10-Sep-11 20:56:43

DialMforMummy Sat 10-Sep-11 21:01:24

I have travelled with a pushchair with BA. They don't charge you extra for the pushchair or the car seat. You can give the pushchair just before you board in the plane and they put it with the rest of the luggage. The car seat they took with the rest of the luggage.
So you don't have to buy another pushchair if you don't want to yet.

GreyTS Sat 10-Sep-11 21:05:24

Officially as long as it has a one piece fold any pushchair is fine - I have travelled long & short haul with a Bugaboo Bee & Maclaren. Have seen people take cameleons & other 2 piece strollers though

GreyTS Sat 10-Sep-11 21:07:31

Oh and as far as I know the only pushchair that folds up small enough to take on board as hand luggage is the original Quinny Zapp

osd Sat 10-Sep-11 21:11:39

I have a lovely bugaboo frog and you can buy an airplane hold thingy to put it in. I can recommend the bugaboo we have had ours 4years and it really is amazing quality.

Esme11 Sat 10-Sep-11 21:39:15

DialMforMummy Sat 10-Sep-11 21:43:23

Mine have (4 return flights in the last year) but I have heard that some people have had theirs damaged.
Better check travel insurance (not that they are reliable, when you need them)

BuntyCollocks Tue 13-Sep-11 20:05:52

We've got the petite star zia for this purpose. Away on Monday, will let you know how it goes! Apparently it's also small enough to take on board.

BizzeeBee Tue 13-Sep-11 20:37:56

My petite star zia has just completed its first trip by air, short haul on British Airways.

On the way out the flight wasn't very busy, and after checking with the crew we were allowed to take it on board. Folded up into its travel bag, the zia easily fitted sideways into an overhead bin on the narrowbody aircraft - not very space efficient if there are rollerbags to try and fit into the bin too, but plenty of room for other bags.

Coming home from Heathrow the person at the gate was determined not let us take the pushchair on board, despite the fact that the flight wasn't that busy, so it went in the hold in its travel bag. Irritatingly there were a couple of completely empty overhead bins near our seats that the pushchair could easily have gone in. Anyway, didn't really matter because I had the sling assuming that it would have to go in the hold, but it was the principle that annoyed me! Pushchair arrived on the baggage belt undamaged, so I'm happy.

Next time I might make sure the pushchair is in its travel bag before we arrive at the gate, so an overzealous person doesn't see what it is and make us check it in if the flight isn't busy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now