Talk

Advanced search

Maldives

(14 Posts)
heathcliffswife Wed 31-Aug-11 18:47:45

Wondering if any Mn'ers have been to the Maldives in particular either Diva Maldives or 4 Seasons, and if not either these tow then where, thats good?! Thanks

noyouhavehadawee Wed 31-Aug-11 18:49:50

I fancied going then heard about soem guy who had been sucked intot the sand somehow and never seen again - apparently it has happenend a few times so i am not going there ever. did i dream that or did dh tell me that so i never want to go. It looks nice though.

heathcliffswife Wed 31-Aug-11 18:50:57

hadawee, do you mean the Maldives in general or that particular resort ??

potbellyqueen Wed 31-Aug-11 18:54:39

I went here last September, it rained a bit (it was the rainy season) but I thoroughly enjoyed it, I've never been to the Maldives before so don't have much to compare it with but I thought it was a lovely resort, it's a small island with only one hotel but there are plenty of activities or outings should you wish to do more than just lie on the beach. I'd recommend an all-inclusive deal because food and drinks are outrageously expensive once you're there.

noyouhavehadawee Wed 31-Aug-11 18:54:46

no in general i am actually tryign to google it at the moment and cant find anything so please ignore me as i may have dreamed it.

heathcliffswife Wed 31-Aug-11 19:20:46

Its for our tenth Wedding anniv, and yes AI by far the best bet. Wont have to worry how may time twins we go to the bar!

CaptainMartinCrieff Wed 31-Aug-11 19:29:29

We went for our honeymoon. The island/resort was called (sp?) oluvheli. It was amazing. Definitely, definitely go diving it's incredible! Oluvheli had a proper diving centre with qualified instructors etc...
We also did loads of snorkelling and amazingly got to swim with manta rays. And midnight fishing followed by a BBQ where we ate the fish we caught. I caught a barracuda (enormous teeth!). We went on a dolphin safari. And I spent a LOT of time in the spa!

Food was good (not amazing) but good quality with lots of choice.

We adored it and DH isn't one for sitting on a beach and web he enjoyed it because of all the activities we did.

I'm remembering it really fondly (3 years ago) and would love to go back!

heathcliffswife Wed 31-Aug-11 19:52:43

Ohhh thank you smile Wont be that much chance of sitting still with the twins (aged 10) but I reckon that there will be something for all of us there.Thanks for the replies ladies smile

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 31-Aug-11 20:00:24

We went to Meru about 7 years ago. It was fabulous, but there's not a lot there for 10 year olds tbh. There are bigger islands with activities for the dc which might be a better bet. We dived quite a bit and diving with the manta rays was just amazing. The spa was superb - I should really have spent more time there! The food on AI was buffet style, but excellent and very varied. There were 3 other restaurants that we could dine at for a small surcharge.

We decided that we preferred a quick boat trip form the airport to the island rather than a seaplane flight (your bags arive several hours later on a boat).

We flew from Manchester with Monarch I think, stopping off briefly in Doha.

Figgygirl Thu 01-Sep-11 02:40:44

The Maldives is made up of many many islands. If you are taking 10 yr old children you need to choose your island/ resort/ hotel carefully so they have plenty to do and do not get bored. Some islands just have one hotel, with nothing to do apart from swim and sunbathe.
I suggest you ask for some recommendations on the Trip Advisor Maldives forums, and also consider the time of year for the weather.

mumofsoontobelawstudent Fri 02-Sep-11 10:26:39

I've been three times and stayed at Bandos Island resort and spa. It is only 20 mins transfer by boat from the airport which is quite handy. It has excellent diving facilities, sailing and other sports and a sports centre so hopefully enough to keep 10 year olds occupied.

JohnnyRod Tue 06-Sep-11 21:24:30

Sucked into the sand? WTF? Maldives is amazing but there are a lot of islands to choose from. Mirihi is to die for, really.

Hersetta Sat 10-Sep-11 10:21:28

All islands only have one hotel on them in the Maldives ! I've been 5 times (the last time was May/June this year and we took our 3.9 yr old DD).

Of the two you have picked i would say Diva as the 4 seasons doesn't have an AI option I beleive. If you want the best AI in the Maldives have a look at lily Beach resort and Spa (this is were we went). It is the only 5 star all inclusive island and we didn't spend a penny whilst we were there.

It had a kids club for DD and brillient bars and restaurants. The biggest decieion of the day was which of the 5 different branded gins to have in a G & T or which of the 8 vodkas to have in my martini. Unually for the maldives the mini bar is also included and stocked with bottles of wine, beer, chocolate bars, crisps and nuts - they really have thought of everything.

They did have table tennis, table football and pool to keep your boys occupied although you might want to look at a larger island with lots more sports facilities for them. Kuredu might be suitable for them (although it wouldn't be up with diva and 4 seasons in terms of quality) as one of the largest islands in the maldives it does have good facilities for families and is AI.

JimmyChoo17 Sat 10-Sep-11 16:03:00

Maldives is my favourite subject! Could talk the hind legs off a horse about it smile

But will refrain...out of the 6islands I have visited meeru last year catered the best for children when we were there. Its also had further work since we left so more pools and facilities added to it. It's one of the bigger islands and plenty to do even play footy with the islanders if kids or adults wish. The food was very good too.

The other islands we visited were superb but I think kids would get bored at them. Meeru I would return to with kids definitely (games room, kayaks, safe, very well run, great food and staff also a Thomson rep on the island if u need any help with kids)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now