Talk

Advanced search

Help! Overnight stop in between Calais and the Dordogne

(9 Posts)
N1MTB Wed 31-Aug-11 16:04:54

Hello,

I've been far too relaxed/disorganised about our imminent holiday in the Dordogne and haven't found anywhere to break our journey - and we leave on Saturday morning...

Can anybody recommend somewhere to stay overnight? We have a 3.5 year old and a just 2 year old so would ideally need two adjoining hotel rooms. Don't really want to all squeeze in together.

Was thinking of stopping somewhere around Orleans.... Ferry leaves Calais at 10 a.m. so I think that is just over half way (according to viamichelin)

Thank you!

kangers Wed 31-Aug-11 20:15:35

Orleans has loads of hotels very near to the peage. It also has a formula 1- put in credit card on door to pay- can get two rooms or all squeeze in one small room.
Will take about 4 and a half to five hours to get to Orleans from Calais via peripherique.
Good luck.

Bellie Wed 31-Aug-11 21:02:26

Not sure if what you are looking for , but we went to near Bordeaux (edge of Dordogne) and stopped here www.lalunelake.co.uk/LaLuneLake/Bed_%26_Breakfast.html
- recommended by other mumsnetters.

We loved it and it was great - wonderful welcome, wonderful food, bedrooms a little dated but hey - it was the best the kids slept on holiday.
It was about 3-4 hours drive from Channel Tunnel, and about 4 hours drive from Bordeaux.

I guess it depends on whereabouts in Dordogne you are going whether you want to go via Le Mans.

Portofino Thu 01-Sep-11 10:35:32

Novotel do family rooms - also adjoining rooms at special rates. They generally have a pool, playground, indoor play area, decent children's menu, and kids get a free breakfast. We stayed at the one at Rouen sud this year and it was great. website You can search along a route or on a map.

N1MTB Thu 01-Sep-11 11:50:29

Thanks all! Will check them out. Planning on avoiding the Periphique I think and might go via Chartres...

N1MTB Thu 01-Sep-11 13:20:27

Ok- we're going to do the Peripherique route... Shaves on an hour (according to Via Michelin) so it's worth it! Think we will go for the Novotel option... Will get plenty of pretty French villages and architechture in the Dordogne! Might not book it just yet though as might be good to have flexibility.

Portofino Thu 01-Sep-11 13:22:42

Bear in mind that traffic can be horrendous on the peripherique - whereas the A28 (I think it is) though Normandy/Loire tends to be quiet. I doubt that you will save an hour at the end of the day.

N1MTB Thu 01-Sep-11 14:34:15

Hmmm. That's true - haven't driven round it for years but I remember it being very very grim (and that was actually my parents driving while we argued in the back....). Thank you for the tips. La Lune Lake looks great too - maybe another time.

Thanks again everybody!

triplets Thu 01-Sep-11 22:24:43

Not sure of your route but we used to do a stop at Misterbed in Chambray le Tours, very cheap, very clean and excellent buffet b/fast, also end of a road nr a little field so kids can really run around, we loved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now