Talk

Advanced search

Driving Calais to South Brittany in one go - good places for quick breaks on the way?

(13 Posts)
beanie123 Tue 30-Aug-11 23:58:31

We are driving from Calais to Benodet in South Brittany on Sunday with DD(4) and DS(2).... Has anyone done this journey in one go, how long will it really take (the mappy website suggests it will take about 7 hours, is this reliable?) - and can you recommend anywhere decent to stop en route for picnics, loo breaks, and letting the kids run around for a bit? I would really appreciate any recommendations.

beanie123 Wed 31-Aug-11 07:11:37

bump

beanie123 Wed 31-Aug-11 08:54:36

please help! Am very worried about how we are all going to survive the journey without going mad...

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 08:57:46

Lol. It's really not far. We drove to north of Bordeaux in a day the other week. Motorways brill. Loads of services. Kids will be fine.

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 08:58:49

French services sell baguettes and cheese slices etc. Just take a knife and some plates. Loads of space etc.

Mini DVD players?

orienteerer Wed 31-Aug-11 09:00:52

A first good stop is Aire de la Baie de Somme, it's between J23 - J24 on A16.

dilbertina Wed 31-Aug-11 09:02:19

I agree, if you just want quick stops then there are load of "Aires" on the motorway, some have petrol stations, restaurants, child play areas etc whilst others will just have basic toilet facilities and plenty of green space/woods for children to run around and have a picnic etc - it will be fine!

Decorhate Wed 31-Aug-11 09:04:26

I always take a picnic rather than trying to buy lunch enroute. It will probably be ok this time of year but in high season the service stations can get very busy.

One I like is called something like Baie de Somme. It's not very far from Calais & has a nice playground & think it has a bird sanctuary.

beanie123 Wed 31-Aug-11 09:04:34

Thanks for the reassurance about the motorways, DH is used to doing lots of long motorway driving so not worried about the actual driving bit, more about the two monkeys in the back who are not so great at travelling! Have been thinking about dvd players - can't afford to buy them right now but have emailed everyone I know to see if we can borrow one!

Decorhate Wed 31-Aug-11 09:05:07

Ooh snap Orienteerer!

HallnotOates Wed 31-Aug-11 09:06:08

I think at Argos they are relatively cheap. Or story CDs.
Anyway. We did similar at sane ages. Really will be fine

Lizzylou Wed 31-Aug-11 09:06:19

No advice (we did Plymouth to Roscoff) but we have just come back from that area and Benodet is lovely, we were v close to there (Beg Meil).
Youll have a great time smile

beanie123 Wed 31-Aug-11 09:08:54

Thank you, Baie de Somme looks great, should be just about the right timing for picnic lunch smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now