Talk

Advanced search

Help,

(20 Posts)
fivegomadindorset Mon 29-Aug-11 17:19:16

My lovely mother has said that instead of birthday/christmas pressies would we like to go away for a week/10 days next February instead. Where to go? (she didn't say no to Mauritius) Me DH, DD 6 and DS 3, kids club ideally just so DH and I get an opportunity to get sometime together (although in a fit of madness she said she would have them for a week but I love her and that would be cruel and unusual punishment). So any suggestions?

GreatNorksOfFire Mon 29-Aug-11 17:20:50

What would her budget be?

And what a lovely mother you have smile

fivegomadindorset Mon 29-Aug-11 17:33:59

She is georgous.

Max £4000 so that does rule out Mauritius grin

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Mon 29-Aug-11 17:42:17

Oman. Lovely country, lovely weather, lovely people.

fivegomadindorset Mon 29-Aug-11 17:44:50

DH wants to know if you can drink grin

He came up with Beirut hmm

Can you tell we don't get to go away alot?

LouRoucas Mon 29-Aug-11 17:46:53

Are you restricted to February?

Petesmum Mon 29-Aug-11 17:50:57

Think the question you need to consider is how long would your DS and DD sit still for in a plane?
Am guessing you're looking for warmer weather as well as kids club but from good old Blighty that will prob involve a decent length flight

fivegomadindorset Mon 29-Aug-11 17:51:16

Could squeeze in first couple of weeks in March but then our business kicks off again (tourism based).

fivegomadindorset Mon 29-Aug-11 17:58:38

Could go after first bank holiday in May, depending on DD's shool letting her out, sadly we can't go in holidays.

Petesmum Mon 29-Aug-11 18:05:44

Florida is an option?
Or Canaries??

GreatNorksOfFire Mon 29-Aug-11 18:06:52

The time of year obviously makes a difference. In February, I reckon you would be looking at a flight of at least 6 hours (8 to the Caribbean). In May, Cyprus would be lovely. Or the Canaries. Both of these will be about 4 hours' flight. I personally would prefer Cyprus. Loads of very nice hotels there.

GreatNorksOfFire Mon 29-Aug-11 18:11:03

For a week in May, this would be within budget.

fivegomadindorset Mon 29-Aug-11 18:12:30

We have done long haul with them once before, DD was nealry 3 and DS was 5 months, DD will be fine and DS should be OK as long as he can get up and walk around.

GreatNorksOfFire Mon 29-Aug-11 18:13:02

Also because you will be going out of season to most places, not all of the amenities will be open, so you will have to check that the kids' club is available.

Maryz Mon 29-Aug-11 18:23:32

Have you considered the Canaries? You could get a really nice hotel in Lanzarote right on the beach for that. Or Fuerteventura. It is out of season so you would have to check whether or not the kids clubs were up and running. It tends to be dry and mostly sunny at that time of year.

Just wherever you go, make sure that the pool is heated for the littlies. Cooler weather and a freezing pool made one holiday we had in February a disaster.

GreatNorksOfFire Mon 29-Aug-11 18:36:35

In February I reckon you should go for either the Caribbean or Florida. In May I think you should go for Cyprus.

earlyriser Mon 29-Aug-11 18:45:00

South Africa is lovely in Feb. It is a 12 hour flight but no real time difference so no jet lag. Flights should be sround £2200 all in. Accommodation and alcohol very reasonable. Food about the same as here. Right in the middle of summer too so all the pools will be warm.

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 29-Aug-11 18:46:33

Caribbean. I went to Cuba in Feb and it was amazing.

LouRoucas Mon 29-Aug-11 18:52:50

This is helpful

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 31-Aug-11 08:02:23

Oman, yes you can drink, except during Ramadhan. You can't go into a supermarket and buy it though, you can get it at hotels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now