Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

first caravan holiday with dcs - any tips please

(15 Posts)
mckenzie Sat 27-Aug-11 16:36:46

I'm taking the dcs to Dorset for a few days to stay in a caravan and we are all really looking forward to it.
Is there anything that you can suggest I should take with us that I might not have thought of please?

I envisage having breakfast in the caravan, making packed lunch to take to the beach (ever hopeful of nice weather) and eating dinner out.

TIA

usualsuspect Sat 27-Aug-11 16:39:05

Toilet rolls,tea towels

usualsuspect Sat 27-Aug-11 16:40:46

corkscrew,tin opener , although these are usually provided

NickNacks Sat 27-Aug-11 16:41:09

A big fleece blanket for snuggling up on the sofa. Ours got quite chilly in the evening/night.

rookiemater Sat 27-Aug-11 16:42:15

Clingfilm for packed lunch, tin foil for cooking - always forget these and then have to pay extortionate price for them at the shop grrr. You may need towels even if provided they are usually thin and small and not suitable for the beach.Have a nice time

usualsuspect Sat 27-Aug-11 16:43:12

salt,pepper and ketchup

mousymouse Sat 27-Aug-11 16:44:37

cancel immediately grin

Scootergrrrl Sat 27-Aug-11 16:45:46

If any are small enough to still need daily baths, take some of your stuff in a big plastic box instead of a suitcase. You can use that as a bath in the bottom of the shower. Also when it's freezing in the morning, turn the gas hob rings on to warm the caravan up, instead of the gas fire, so you don't have to dive to rescue a crawling baby with a deathwish every two minutes grin

mckenzie Sat 27-Aug-11 17:06:25

thank you very much. All being added to my list. Dcs are 6 and 10 so showers for them - oh, should i take a shower mat?

cat64 Sat 27-Aug-11 17:13:18

Message withdrawn

cat64 Sat 27-Aug-11 17:14:17

Message withdrawn

pointydog Sat 27-Aug-11 17:20:55

Is it a static?

If so, you won't need anything. Same as staying in any s/c place.

Dysgu Sat 27-Aug-11 17:40:23

We have just returned from a caravan (static) holiday in Dorset with our 2 and 4 year olds. The most useful things we packed included:
toilet rolls
tea towels
towels
washing up liquid, cloth, scrubber
bin bags
oil (especially the spray stuff you get which travels really well)
salt, sugar, coffee, tea bags, milk,
kitchen roll
matches (in case the oven doesn't light!)
alcohol
DVDs
CDs
Swimming stuff

I also give each child a plastic box - the smaller size ones about the size of a deep school tray - that they can fill with toys and games. I encourage them to put in books, colouring stuff, building bricks (a great hit, but yours are older!), and a few things they can play independently.

They had a great time!

mckenzie Sat 27-Aug-11 22:26:34

Thanks again for the posts.
Dysgu, glad to hear you ad fun. where did you stay? We are going to Dorset too.

OrangeHedgehog Thu 01-Sep-11 21:12:58

Take your own pillows if you are fussy about pillows (like I am!) Sometimes in hired caravans they provide the thinnest pillows in the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now