Advanced search

Help! Travel insurance after a pulmonary embolism

(12 Posts)
follyfoot Sat 27-Aug-11 11:15:01

DH had a PE in May (following surgery). We are going abroad on hols at the end of next week and really dont know what to do about travel insurance for him. Does anyone know of a company who might insure him? He's on warfarin and his INR is well controlled. Will post in health too. Thanks

Ponders Sat 27-Aug-11 11:21:57

I will have a look at Which for you smile

follyfoot Sat 27-Aug-11 11:23:49

Thanks Ponders, much appreciated (by DH too)

Sorry for putting in Health and Travel, but wasnt sure where was most likely to get a reply smile

Ponders Sat 27-Aug-11 11:28:23

'Some travel insurance policies will automatically exclude any pre-existing condition; others, such as AgeUK (Intune) and Karma, take a more sympathetic approach offering travel insurance cover for a range of serious medical problems.'

also in their Best Buy tables for older people they highlight Premier & Golfguard as being good for pre-existing conditions - no idea whther they insure young people too!

follyfoot Sat 27-Aug-11 11:30:00

Oooo great will go and take a look at those.

Ponders Sat 27-Aug-11 11:30:06

moneysupermarket have a list! smile

Ponders Sat 27-Aug-11 11:31:24

good luck - you will have to pay a bit extra but it shouldn't be silly money.

ptangyangkipperbang Sat 27-Aug-11 11:33:33

I have just had to do this because I have epilepsy. Sorry i this is stating the obvious but I googled 'travel insurance medical conditions' For some conditions they would insure you online but for others you had to ring a helpline. I ended up with post office insurance but this is because I hadn't had a hospital admission for over a year so I was quite straightforward!

It was a laborious job but I got there in the end. Is there an advice line for those having had a PE? Only asking because Epilepsy Action has a link to an insurance company they recommend if epilepsy isn't as controlled as mine.

Good luck!

Lizcat Sat 27-Aug-11 16:42:25

My DD and I have several very boring conditions that mean we have to speak to the underwriter every single time we go away. However, we still manage to use our bank account cover without any additional charge. The key thing you say is that he is well controlled,

follyfoot Sun 28-Aug-11 08:44:24

Thanks everyone, with your help we have found one - £37 extra to cover him for anything related to his PE, but worth it smile

Ponders Sun 28-Aug-11 12:10:02

definitely worth it, & £37 is not bad at all

enjoy your holiday smile

(in future though you should really get travel insurance the same day you make the booking, as it covers you for things that might happen in between booking & going, not just for the dates you are away)

annemad1948 Sat 18-Aug-18 10:59:23

Looking for travel insurance for my husband who had a PE in January this year please any advice welcome. Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: