Talk

Advanced search

Have you been/would you go to the Canaries in high season?

(11 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 25-Aug-11 17:46:43

with dcs i mean? Ours will be 2.5 and 7.5. I know the older one will be fine but just worried about the heat in july/august, also wondering how bad a 4hr flight would be with such a young child.
We have just been to majorca where the av daily temp was about 35 degrees.

Also if anyone can recommend a hotel or apartments in lanzarote or fuerteventura that would be great thanks smile

SecretSquirrels Thu 25-Aug-11 18:02:58

Canaries are likely to be cooler than the Med in August as they are in the Atlantic.
I have been in July / August and it's normally high 20s low 30s whereas in Greece I have known it hit 40 degrees.
It is a long flight though, probably over 4 hours.

girlywhirly Fri 26-Aug-11 10:07:41

The temp in the canaries is pretty stable all the time, one of the benefits because when other countries are scorching during the summer they are comfortably hot. You could go during the autumn half term and it would still be lovely and warm but not overpowering. The youngest will be fine on a 4hr flight, in fact it can be a bit better than a short flight where the aisle seems to be constantly blocked by trolleys! You will get more opportunity to get up and walk down the plane. Will be cheaper too.

I presume you mean for next year? Travel brochures are already out, most have little graphs of temps during the year for each location. Even if you don't book with them, it gives an idea of what resorts are like, amenities and things to do and see etc.

mosschops30 Fri 26-Aug-11 14:05:47

Yes we are looking for next year.
I didnt know they stayed pretty constant, we went in january (with no dcs) and the weather was lovely.
Dc3 was dreadful on the plane home from majorca, but i think not having a seat didnt help. Maybe he would be better next year.

Any recommendations for lanzarote or fuerteventura?

SecretSquirrels Fri 26-Aug-11 15:20:18

I would add that although it's pleasantly warm in winter the sea is very cold and hotel pools are not heated. Some will say they are but I wouldn't go in!
We stayed in Fuerteventura at the Rui Oliva Beach last Easter. Lovely hotel and fabulous beach location.

mosschops30 Fri 26-Aug-11 16:15:19

secretsquirrels thats one of our choices. Can you tell me a bit more about it (mini disco/kidsclub/food/rooms).
We just want somewhere not full of british chavs who think footie tops are suitable evening wear (as was the case this year)

girlywhirly Fri 26-Aug-11 16:55:24

I think your DS will be better in his own seat, too. Trawl MN for tips on entertainment.

I have been to Tenerife and Gran Canaria, but not the others.

Look on TripAdvisor for more information/reviews on various resorts and hotels.

mosschops30 Fri 26-Aug-11 20:03:47

Yes am a trip advisor addict, although it didnt do me any favours this year on either holiday (one had great reviews and we didnt enjoy, the other had really poor reviews and it was the best holiday weve ever had hmm

stanausauruswrecks Fri 26-Aug-11 20:19:49

We go to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote in Feb half term (DS is 5 and DD is 2). It's a lovely family resort - no sign of any bars or clubs pumping out loud music and certainly no gangs of pissed up youths (hoiks up bosom tutting loudly..)
We hire a villa through www.lanzarotelates.com and I would recommend them. Most villas have heated private pool and are always furnished to a high standard (WM/DW/TV/DVD) and gives us the best of both worlds- can self cater or eat out, then come back and watch a dvd once the kids are asleep. Restaurants are fine and very child friendly. <goes off to check out prices>

SecretSquirrels Sat 27-Aug-11 16:05:30

Mosschops -I have teenage boys so avoid mini discos like the plague!

There appeared to be a large kids club with it's own pool but I didn't look closely at it. There was a broad mix of nationalities. A lot of French and German, with a minority of Belgian and Brits as far as I could tell. My boys were the only British ones at the Teen activities which didn't put them off and encouraged a renewed interest in speaking German (German girls smile).

The family rooms are actually apartments. A little dated but very clean and spacious. The food was great, enough variety for even the faddiest. I put on half a stone.

The beach is the most beautiful I have ever seen and you are on it. The hotel is a bit isolated , a taxi ride from town but as we only had a week we were happy to stay put.

We had an equally bad experience in Tenerife this August. Lovely hotel but horrendous fellow guests. We were the only family not covered in tattoos or wearing footie shirts.

mosschops30 Sun 28-Aug-11 18:59:41

Not looking to do a villa, we like a bit of entertainment and for the dcs to mix with other children, but thanks for the playa blanca recommendation, there are ome nice looking hotels there.

Sounds great that there are lots of nationalities, thats what was lacking this year, i think too many brits together is not a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now