Talk

Advanced search

Anybody know if there's going to be a replacement for BMIBaby once they pull out of Cardiff?

(8 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 21-Aug-11 20:37:05

We need to book flight to Geneva in January and usually use BMIBaby form Cardiff but they're not flying from there after October this year.

As yet there's nothing on the Cardiff Airport website to indicate that there may be any airlines planning on taking over the route. We're reluctant to book flights from other airports as Cardiff is by far the most convenient for us, but we're aware that flights will get more expensive the longer that we leave it.

So does anybody have any inside info that they could share?

CocktailMumma Sun 21-Aug-11 20:45:43

I have not heard anythings at all. Some one recently told me that Cardiff airport has some of the most expensive landing fees in the UK making it an unpopular choice for other airlines.

This aside in the current financial climate I cannot see any airlines that currently fly out of Bristol and Birminghan bothering to increase their outkay and costs by putting on flights from Cardiff. Like you Cardiff is our first choice to fly from for pure convenience BUT we have often flown from both Bristol and Birmingham when its been £80 or so cheaper to do so.

Sadly I think Cardiff is pricing itself out of the market. Even Thomson etc have cut flights out of Cardiff this summer, already. There were many flights slashed at the start of the season - alot of the 10 night holidays were cut and transferred to 7 or 14 nights. This is another sign that airlines are cutting costs where possible.

Sorry to be so doom and gloom but I have worked closley to the tourism and airline indusrty in Cardiff and the signs are not great.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 21-Aug-11 21:14:45

I've heard hat the landing fees are expensive at Cardiff and suspected that that was probably a big factor in other airlines not investing in the airport. Surely it would be better business sense to have lower landing fees and have thousands more passengers each year?! What on earth are the manamgement team thinking?

It's very frustrating to live just a short drive away from an airport but be forced to drive 1 1/2 hours + to get flights.

I think we might as well get looking at other options, like you say the signs aren't great. sad

mosschops30 Sun 21-Aug-11 21:20:05

Why cardiff dont lower their fees is beyond me.
We landed there this week and its like a toy airport, ours was the only arrival.

When you compare it to bristol, where you can fky out with ryanair easyjet etc , its just ridiculous.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 21-Aug-11 21:26:05

I know Mosschops - and when people want a meal in the cafe upstairs after checking in they seem surpised that they're busy!

Do they not think that 150+ people checking in around breakfast or lunchtime might want something to eat?!

TBH, I'm not sure what kind of future that airport has with the current management team - we flew from Bristol at Easter and apart form the extra travelling being a pita, it was a far nicer experience.

mosschops30 Sun 21-Aug-11 22:16:12

Its a far better experience at bristol i agree, even parking on site is easier and cheaper. I prefer to fly fom bristol even though cardiff airport is 30mins from me

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 21-Aug-11 22:21:23

Cardiff is 5 minutes away from us which is why I really dislike having to travel further - we just pay £10 for a taxi which saves the parking fees, but I fear we'll have to get used to travelling over the bridge to Bristol and beyond!

mumatron Sun 21-Aug-11 22:45:50

Tbh, I usually pick bristol as first choice airport despite only being 30 mins from cardiff airport.

Even with car park charges its significantly cheaper to fly from bristol.

Can't see things changing any time soon though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now