Talk

Advanced search

Sri Lanka with a toddler and baby?!

(4 Posts)
3become4 Thu 18-Aug-11 11:40:03

We're pondering going to Sri Lanka next year with our two children who will be about 3.5 yrs and 9 months old. Are we mad?! Have you been? Would you consider it? Any tips?

TIA

acatcalledbob Thu 18-Aug-11 11:52:39

A friend has just come back with a 2.5 year old. They had a blast, loved it but stayed in good hotels and had the same driver throughout. She did say there was lots of driving and the portable DVD player was a Godsend - one day they drove 9 hours. She has two teenagers too so it was more for them but the little one was fine.

I have another friend who went this summer too with older kids who said a croc came too close for comfort.

We live in Asia (3.5 hour direct flight for us) but don't think it's worth taking the kids until they are older and can appreciate it a bit more. Sure you'll be fine but suspect the kids would prefer a beach holiday...?

3become4 Thu 18-Aug-11 12:36:57

I guess I should have said that DH is almost certainly going anyway so it's just a matter of whether or not we join him. I agree that the little one won't appreciate (or even remember) it but I think at 3.5 the older one would? We don't really do beach holidays anyway! At least not yet...!

digitalgirl Thu 18-Aug-11 12:47:44

We went to Sri Lanka on our (pre-child) honeymoon and I remember the 11 hour (or so) flight over had a family with a 12month old, 3 year old and 5 year old. The baby cried the entire time. Fine for us as we could put earplugs in, but probably not so much fun for the family itself. Then we bumped into them halfway into our holiday at one of the resorts, I recognised the crying! At this point, the baby was covered head to toe in mosquito bites. The other kids looked like they were enjoying themselves splashing about in the pool (which you could do in any country), but the little one seemed to be suffering and I felt quite sorry for her having been dragged halfway across the world only to be ravaged by insects.
Made me think that I wouldn't bother taking very young children somewhere like that and would wait until the youngest was at least 3/4 before doing a long-haul holiday that didn't involve extended family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now