Talk

Advanced search

Good family resorts in portugal??? Recommendations please.

(7 Posts)
mindermummy Thu 18-Aug-11 08:22:28

We are going away in August next year a few different couples, all with kids aged between 5 months and 7 years.

Anywhere spring to mind thats great for families in portugal/algarve??

We looked at Carvoeriro....looks nice.

leannac Thu 18-Aug-11 12:00:36

I've been recommended martinhal beach resort as being fab for families but it's a bit out of our price range :-(.... tomorrow we're heading off to Portugal and are going to try Memmo Baleeira instead which is a bit cheaper but doesn't have the advantage of the gorgeous villas

ImeldaM Fri 19-Aug-11 15:16:48

Love the Algarve and have been a few times, never to Carveiro but would agree sounds nice.

Other places I would recommend,

-Alvor nice, medium sized town/resort, quite traditional,

-Olhos d'Agua (small resort, very handy location, nr Albufeira),

-Armacao de Pera nice, central, bit built up but great beach, very portugese resort.

Would avoid

-Albufeira (lager louts, resort nice for day trip but wouldn't want to stay there),
-Vilamoura (very fake, more couples/older tourist oriented)
- Praia da Rocha (clubby, although has fantastic beach, resort itself very built up) for families in August, very very busy.

Lagos great place but some areas seemed a bit rough.

Tavira lovely but probably for older families.
HTH

mosschops30 Fri 19-Aug-11 21:36:40

No where, pick another destination.

Sorry but i hate portugal, full of beggars, couldnt even eat a meal in peace without someone putting something on your table, dirty, lots of graffitti and dh got offered drugs shock

sailorsgal Mon 22-Aug-11 07:55:31

here is sopposed to be very nice.

Corriewatcher Tue 23-Aug-11 22:11:40

We stayed in the Presa da Moura complex on the hills outside Carvoeiro www.carvoeirovillas.com/en/list.php?resortID=5# about 5 years ago, and the accommodation was great.

lovecorrie Thu 25-Aug-11 15:53:56

We went to Praia de Rocha twice last year. Agree it is a bit 'touristy', but stay somewhere off the beaten track a bit, and go out of holiday time - we went the second two weeks of May and it was lovely, not at all crowded, and last week of the summer hols - not so good...Yes, there are a few homeless people but we were never bothered. We gave them our spare change through choice not through being hassled. DH used to go to montegordo a lot, much nicer he says but probably a bit more built up than it was back in the 80s/90s I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now