We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone Know About Passport Renewal?

(9 Posts)
Solo Wed 17-Aug-11 15:16:03

I've just discovered that my passport expired on July 6th and was wondering if anyone knows if it's too late to get it continued on to a new one rather than have to start the whole process over again? Any help appreciated. Thank you!

HangingGarden Wed 17-Aug-11 17:12:39

If you fill in a passport form and give all your details as a renewal it should still be fine - I may be wrong but I think it just saves them having to check birth certs/marriage certs and the like because they've already done it for your old one. If in doubt ask at the post office - they used to do a 'checking applications' service so would be able to tell you conclusively.

milkybarsrus Wed 17-Aug-11 22:28:55

should be no problem, they do an online application and the turn around is usually 2 weeks if you pay for fast track service.

Solo Thu 18-Aug-11 00:40:57

Thank you both very much smile I will enquire.
I don't actually need it, it's just to save money in the long term and to avoid all the messing about.

WideWebWitch Thu 18-Aug-11 00:45:45

Yes, I had 2 x expired passports (mine and dh's) and you do have to fill in a long form (fair enough) and send off your expired one. But it's a lot easier than a first passport, which I've also just done for dd. You can fill in a lot of it online and save it and then they will print it for you and send it to you to add photos and so on. I've never done check and send because I consider myself capable of reading a form and all the notes and doing it properly and so far x 4 passports it's been ok.

I was quite impressed with how efficient the service was actually.

Solo Thu 18-Aug-11 01:16:27

So is it the full price once it's expired to renew, or the renewal price which is usually lower priced Www ?
My Ds's expires this month too...thought it was his last month and mine this month, but it's the reverse so got to get them both done and Dd a first one (don't want her father doing it and therefore the holder of it you see).

kittensliveupstairs Thu 18-Aug-11 07:00:27

AFAIK, there is only one price. You don't get a discount because it hasn't expired.
Ours have never had time to expire, we have lived in countries where you must have a valid passport.
PITA, and expensive, but we got used to it.

girlywhirly Thu 18-Aug-11 08:56:09

Next time, you can renew up to 9 months before the expiry, and they add that onto the new passport. It's worth keeping on top of passport validity, as there may be situations where you need to have at least 6 mths on it to travel.

Solo Thu 18-Aug-11 20:57:48

Thank you! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now